Subfolders/files list refresh rate

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

Subfolders/files list refresh rate

Postby hansolocambo » Tue May 28, 2019 11:04 am

Hi,
I've been using Flash Renamer for a very long while but its inability to process unicode characters makes it useless in too many occasions.
So I moved on to Bulk Rename and it's been a real pleasure to see such a well thought interface with with a plethora of possibilities.

Only big issue I've seen so far comes from the subfolders activation. I continually have to rename dozens of thousands of files located in hundreds of subfolders and, if Flash Renamer would take sometimes a few minutes to display the whole list of files/folders, it takes literally forever for Bulk to display that same list. It took so long that after 30 minutes of waiting for a simple folder of 2.2GB with 20300 files I simply : abandoned. It takes about 2.5 sec to create the list of this same folder in Flash Renamer.

EDIT : I just figured out that the Display Options / Show Icons was the reason of this slowness. After deactivating this display option, one needs to click on another folder to validate the change. Then the creation process of the list is much faster : 26 sec against 2.5sec for Flash Renamer.

Problem might (?) come mostly from the fact that Bulk constantly refreshes the existing list to add the newly added file / folder. It's so slow that when 10K + items are already in the top-right list, we can nearly count 1,2,3,4 as it adds the new items, I barely exaggerate. I'm a 3D artist : my computers are always top notch. And this kind of slowness is just too hard to bear.

I tried to deactivate the columns that could slow down the process (size, Sub Dir., etc) but it didn't seem to help much.

Could you please consider adding a function to, at least, block the refreshing of the files/folders list (top-right) as long as the entirety of the subfolders and files has been added to the list (this might help the process) ? And try to check what part of the code might slow down that much the list creation ?

Thanks a lot for considering that, it definitely is a big disappointment when moving from Flash Renamer to Bulk.

Sincerely, Hansolocambo.
hansolocambo

Re: Subfolders/files list refresh rate

Postby therube » Thu May 30, 2019 3:57 am

In general, BRU is slow in populating the file list.
Now slow is relative, obviously becoming more apparent as the number of files increase.

With some file types meta-data is read, so if you don't need that, disable it.
Renaming Options -> ID3/Exif Data
therube

Return to Suggestions