Music Files

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

Music Files

Postby elmo1950 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:57 pm

Maybe I am too new to the utility and don't now how to turn on the column that shows song titles in the display. I need to rename some files with just the song title instead of song title and artist name in files(s) :?
elmo1950

Re: Music Files

Postby trm2 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:50 am

Newbies - please download the Volume I book for free at viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4743

It will answer a lot of your questions.

If the music files (.Mp3 only) have ID3 data, it can be extracted by enabling:

'Extract ID3 data (Mp3)' from the 'ID3/ Exif Data/ File Properties' Sub-menu of the 'Renaming Options' Menu

Also if you need further help in renaming, you have to provide a half dozen or so examples in the form:

From ………………………………….. To ……………………………………

That way the experts can help you accordingly. - BUT read the manual first. - over 300 pages!
trm2

Postby elmo1950 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:57 pm

trm2 : Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I used WMP to burn all my CD's to my music library. I'm trying to save music and playlists to USB thumb drives to play in my work vehicle that doesn't have SYNC tech. So I'm using a hands free FM transmitter that allows you to transmit to radio, but for some reason a lot of the 900+ songs won't play. Not sure why other than maybe their file structures aren't being recognized. I have reached out to hands free manufacturer, but not getting anywhere. Supposed to be able to read WMA and MP3 files.
elmo1950

Postby trm2 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:36 am

going back to your first request:

'rename some files with just the song title instead of song title and artist name in files'

If you need to rename files with just the song title....

Provide examples - probably half a dozen to a dozen in the form I told you earlier:

From ………………….. to ………………………………..

From this - 'turn on the column that shows song titles in the display',

if it isn't Id3 data that is the problem - then you need to know the
files to be renamed show up in the Content Pane (the window on the right). You have to select them as you do in Windows Explorer
using the combinations Shift + arrow. Ctrl mouse. CTRL A etc. Then the New Name column would be activated. New Name will show you an
immediate preview of any changed files. Then you make changes. and when satisfied hit the Rename button.

As for the changes - like I said if you provide the samples, they can probably give you a simple RegEx (Regular Expression) or possible other
solution.

The solution will probably be simple for these guys (and gals).

As for your second request -
You burned the files to CD using Windows Media Player. Now you want to play them - I don't know what Sync Tech is - if that just means synchronizing then I don't
see why that would be an issue. I have burned MP3 files to my CDs and played them in my CD player in the car. Usually have to burn them to the root directory
if I remember - it has been a while. I am talking off the top of my head (very dangerous mind you) because any samples I have would be in the car. I wouldn't do WMP files
though - MP3s are more universal.

Next you mention Hands Free FM Transmitter - just looked this up on Amazon. It plays MP3, WMP through Bluetooth through your phone to your car. Seems like a lot of hassle to go
through if your car doesn't have a CD player - do the old fashion thing and buy a CD player - portable or have one installed in your car. I see that the FM transmitter only cost about $18.00
I don't know enough about the technology.

In diagnosing the problem you have to work backwards.

1. Are the music files Ok on your original source - can you play them on the CD?
2. Test the files on the USB:
a. will the files play from your USB drive - via an MP3 player or just plugged into the computer?
b. Is the problem the files not in the proper file structure. For example, to play music files through my DVD, they all have to be in the root directory to be recognized.
c. Is the FM Transmitter the problem - then you contact the company.

Just trying to help.
trm2

Return to Suggestions