Update Date Taken field for photos

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

Update Date Taken field for photos

Postby PSUHammer » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:27 pm

Under the Special options in the app, there is a specific option to "Change File Timestamps" which is very helpful. BUT, it does not currently allow you to update the Date Taken field. You can copy from that field to update data created or modified, though.

Could you please just add an additional option to update the "Date Taken" field in bulk? This would be a life saver for those of us scanning photos in or updating old JPEGs that don't have that field populated.
PSUHammer

Re: Update Date Taken field for photos

Postby Ric » Fri May 01, 2020 3:32 pm

Modifying the metadata (EXIF and other tags) in an image file can be very complex. EXIF tags update and/or custom timestamp tags, or ....
Also, what to do if the tag does not exist. Re-write the whole file to add a tag; support roll-back if the re-write fails. And so on.

Suggested better choice for the end-user is to apply the EXIFTOOL utility. https://exiftool.org/

This is a phenomenal tool for photographers (others too) to manage image collections. Phil Harvey does an amazing job and also works hard to keep it up to date. Also there is quite useful GUI interface to the raw exiftool.exe and that is ExifToolGUI. ExifToolGUI probably handles 95% of typical users needs. Command line use of exiftool.exe can support batch operations and has the power to do just about anything. In addition to manipulating file metadata exiftool can manipulate file attributes, filenames, and file locations. It is great at creating a list of files with certain metadata values.
Ric

Re: Update Date Taken field for photos

Postby FrostByte » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:08 pm

I am contending with a similar but related issue. I have a bunch of pictures from an event I attended, and it appears as though one of the photographers had their AM/PM incorrect on the camera they were using. It seems like BRU has so many tools to get me *so* close, but not the specific option to change the Date Taken AM/PM / time.

I understand and appreciate the suggestion of scripting or using EXIFTool (which at a glance doesn't look to be very straight forward), so I hope that in a future version making such adjustments to Date Taken will become an option within BRU, so that it could be readily accessible for quick fixes of such metadata mishaps.

Is there a feature wishlist it could be added to?
FrostByte

Return to Suggestions