Extract CR3 EXIF data to rename files

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

Extract CR3 EXIF data to rename files

Postby Vindo » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:36 pm

I provide tech support to a photographer who isn't very computer savvy. Several years ago, I was able to train her to use Bulk Rename Utility to add the 'Original Date Taken' to the names of all her Canon CR2 files. Now, along comes CR3, arghh, and it appears BRU doesn't recognize those as photo files with EXIF data. Or am I missing some plug-in or something?

I would be eternally grateful if you added that capability. Or failing that...... could at least point me in the direction of another utility that does it? I've searched, but not found anything.

Thanks in advance.

Vindo
Vindo

Re: Extract CR3 EXIF data

Postby Luuk » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:22 am

Greetings. Microsoft has codec for CR3 athttp://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/raw-image-extension/9nctdw2w1bh8?activetab=pivot:overviewtab so then training can be like CR2??
Luuk

Postby Vindo » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:48 am

Thank you for your reply. As far as I can tell, what this Raw Image Extension does is add the ability to Microsoft products (their Photo app, for example) to view CR3 images. Viewing the files is not the issue. She uses Irfanview for that. What she needs is a batch utility that extracts the 'Original Date Taken' from the CR3 EXIF data and prepends that to the file name. This is what Bulk Rename Utility can currently do with other image files. However, as of yet, it doesn't appear to recognize CR3s as image files. Am I wrong about that?
Vindo

Postby Luuk » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:05 am

Yes that is exactly correct for Microsoft products and BRU can also see many Windows file properties with javascript. I thought that since you train her with BRU on cr2 files that you must already be expert to know the javascript? I dont know good enough the javascript and also it must be paid for to work but I am expert with exiftool if you need a batch I can write but first we need to know how the date is like 2020-12-07 or 12-07-2020 and also if the time of day is needed. This can also help the experts with javascript code, if BRU can succeed on cr2 its much likely to succeed in cr3 also.
Luuk

Postby Vindo » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:15 pm

Thank you very much for your kind offer. No, unfortunately I am not any kind of programmer. I can see that Exiftool is a powerful utility. Unfortunately, it looks to me like it would be far too complicated for her to use. Not unless there's a way she can simply right-click on the directory (in Windows File Explorer) containing her photos and have the EXIF batch file appear in the context menu. Is that possible?

What I need is the ability to rename all files in a directory as follows: "yyyy-mm-dd, OriginalFileName.cr3"

Using Exiftool, I extracted the CR3 data of one file. The "Date/Time Original" parameter = yyyy:mm:dd hh:mm:ss

It appears CR3 RAW has been out for over a year already, which suggests to me that Bulk Rename Utility has no intention of adding support for it...? Even though, I agree, it seems like it wouldn't be that hard, because it must be very similar to CR2.
Vindo

Postby Vindo » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:22 pm

Never mind. I've installed DPP (Canon's Digital Photo Professional) which has a rename tool. It isn't as customizable as BRU (can't use commas, only offers the option of an underscore separator), but at least it recognizes CR3s, and I'm able to get EXIF Original Date Taken prepended to the original file name in the same format she's been using up until now. And the interface is very similar to BRU, so it hopefully won't be too steep a learning curve for her.

Thank you for your help! Always learning......... :-)
Vindo

Postby Admin » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:51 am

Hi, the new BRU version 3.4 to be released soon will support the Windows "Item Date", which extracts the Date Taken for various types of media files, including videos, HEIC files, CR3, and so on.

For CR3 files you will need the new Raw Image Extension installed:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/raw-image-extension/9nctdw2w1bh8?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

then once the extension is installed you can use BRU ver 3.4 or newer to prefix files with the date, taken from the CR3 metadata.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Vindo » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:18 am

This is great news! Especially now that I've just discovered I'll be able to download and install the Microsoft RAW Image Extension from their Store without a MIcrosoft Cloud Account. (I didn't realize they'd changed that requirement.) Thank you so much! Love BRU. I promise, I'll make another donation. :D
Vindo

Postby Luuk » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:21 am

Greetings, Im not expert but manual refers Renaming Options, File Properties, "Extract Windows File Properties", so then to right click file to use "Show List of File Properties" but if update cannot list the date then javascript cannot list it also. Its great news with 3.4 update coming soon to find all the dates!! Without the update, I get help at exiftool to make this batch.

Code: Select all
@echo off
Reg Query "HKCU\Software\Classes\Directory\shell\DateMyCR3s" >nul 2>nul && set "ACT=Uninstall" || set "ACT=Install"
echo %ACT%ing "DateMyCR3s" Folder Context Menu
echo This to let you right click folder, so cr3s inside rename "yyyy-mm-dd, OriginalFileName.cr3"
echo Its smart to see if correct date is already in front, and instead goes to next cr3 file.
echo.
If /i [%ACT%] == [Install] (
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\Directory\shell\DateMyCR3s\command" /ve /d "exiftool -ext cr3 -if \"not ${filename;s/^^^(\d+^)-^(\d+^)-^(\d+^).*/\1:\2:\3/} eq ${DateTimeOriginal#;s/^^^(.{10}^).*/\1/}\" \"-FileName"<"$Exif:DateTimeOriginal\" -d \"%%%%Y-%%%%m-%%%%d, %%%%%%%%f.%%%%%%%%e\" \"%%1\"" /f) > nul
If /i [%ACT%] == [Uninstall] (REG DELETE "HKCU\Software\Classes\Directory\shell\DateMyCR3s" /f) > nul
echo %ACT%ed Context Menu (Right click folder for DateMyCR3s),  Press any key to exit
pause>nul

1. You make all that in a batch and then settle exiftool somewhere like inside of C:\Windows or system32.
2. Click batch only one time to invent "right-click folders in Windows File Explorer" to rename all cr3 inside without update.
3. If she wont like it anymore, or after the update, then she clicks the batch again to destroy the right-click away.

Each time clicking the batch, it either invents or destroys the "right-click in Windows File Explorer". Maybe for now she best likes Digital Photo Professional, then BRU fixes the comma. Soon 3.4 does both alone and much easier too. Thanks for update!!
Luuk

Postby Vindo » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:10 am

Luuk, thank you so much for the batch file! I've saved a copy, in case I need to resort to that. :-) You're very generous. Take care!
Vindo

Postby Admin » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:21 am

This has been added to BRU version 3.4.0.0

There is a new date called "Item Date" which is the creation date for HEIC, MOV, video and all media in general, also JPG and RAW files.

"Item Date" is both a column in the file list, that can be used for sorting, and a new entry in AutoDate (8).

To support CR3 files you will need the new Microsoft Raw Image Extension installed:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/raw-image-extension/9nctdw2w1bh8?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Once installed, the Item Date in Windows and in BRU will contain the CR3 EXIF date.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Extract CR3 EXIF data to rename files

Postby Vindo » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:38 am

Thank you for adding this feature. However, the Microsoft RAW Image Extension does absolutely zero: no Item Date, no previews in File Explorer, no nothing. When I double click a file, it just says, "Unfortunately it looks like we don't support this file type." Yet it is a Canon CR3 image file. I have the latest and 'greatest' Windows 10 updates installed. I've tried resetting, I've tried rebooting, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Nada. Sigh.

Is there any step I've missed that I'm not understanding?

Has anyone else gotten this to work with a similar configuration?

TIA.
Vindo

Re: Extract CR3 EXIF data to rename files

Postby Vindo » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:54 am

Never mind. I think I answered my own question. Apparently the Canon R5 RAW is not yet supported by LibRAW (which is what the Microsoft RAW Image Extension is based on). But supposedly they will include support for it in the next release - LibRAW will anyway. Not sure when Microsoft will get around to including it. See this thread.https://www.libraw.org/node/2622
Vindo

Return to Suggestions