Make Numbering(10) also work for prevent duplicates

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

Make Numbering(10) also work for prevent duplicates

Postby Covid-Hater » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:33 pm

Hi, I'm using prevent duplicates, but I cannot change the numbering format at all. The problem is sometimes I end up with is hundreds of duplicates, so I need the first onr to be appended like "_001" then "_002" and so forth. This way, they would stay in the right order for many different types of software applications, versus _1 and _10 being shown as successive.

If theres a setting for this, I cannot find it. I looked in the .bru file and changed Start="1" to Start="001" but this does not work. So after the rename, I must then relist the files to carefully select _1 through _9 with Remove(5) the last 1 so Numbering(10) can fix them. That isnt so bad, but if theres more duplicates after _9, then I must again carefully select _10 through _99, and do it again with Remove(5) but change it to remove last 2, and then also change Numbering(10) to start at 10.

Anything over 100 is fine because its already in the proper format, but I really need a pad setting for the lower numbers if possible. Where to find this setting? Is there another way to get this done more quickly? Thanks in advance.
Covid-Hater

Re: Make Numbering(10) also work for prevent duplicates

Postby therube » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:13 pm

You're talking about; Renaming Options -> Prevent Duplicates ?

Note also, there is no _1, which one might prefer rather then just the "base" name.

"Anything over 100 is fine" because you don't have more then 999 duplicates ;-).

---

You could go back, after the fact, & use some (a couple, for 1...999) RegEx replacements to add the padding in, but being able to set a Pad factor would be more convenient.

---

(Otherwise, 10:Numbering -> Pad: 3.)

---

This way, they would stay in the right order for many different types of software applications, versus _1 and _10 being shown as successive.

Note: Display Options -> Sorting -> Logical Sorting (aka "Natural"), should get your list, even without padding to display in the "correct" order.

Now, with other programs, they may handle things differently, in which case padding would be preferred.

Also note, that while a Natural Sort can be useful, it is not always logically correct.

As in, this is, & it is a correct, Natural sort:
Code: Select all
train001.mpeg
train002.mpeg
train003.mpeg
train3track001.mpeg
train3track002.mpeg
train3track003.mpeg
train004.mpeg
train005.mpeg
train006.mpeg

Though it is not "logical", as in most cases (well in most cases, with something like above), you'd want it to display as (& in particular for use in other programs):
Code: Select all
train001.mpeg
train002.mpeg
train003.mpeg
train004.mpeg
train005.mpeg
train006.mpeg
train3track001.mpeg
train3track002.mpeg
train3track003.mpeg

BRU affords you the option to display both ways.
Windows Explorer may (?) only give you the Natural sort.
therube

Return to Suggestions