New guy hoping to learn a little - rename to lower case

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

New guy hoping to learn a little - rename to lower case

Postby shigg » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:37 pm

Hi there. I must say this is one hell of a tool. So far a bit intimidating, but I've only been working with it for about 20 minutes. I am looking to do something that I don't see readily available as an option, and a few searches haven't been successful.
Here goes: It is quite possible that it's a matter of me missing something that's right in front of me because my brain thinks "it can't be that simple!", so then I over complicate it. Hopefully I'm not wasting your time. OK, so what I want to do is make all the letters in a folder and file's name lower case. I am trying to do it to one folder that includes 550 folders, and a lot of those 550 folders contain multiple folders within them, so that comes to a total of 2783 folders with titles that are sometimes in all caps, sometimes all lower case, sometimes each word capitalized, and other times they can bE JUsT As MIxeD uP as thiS. I am trying to make it all uniform. With so many new things being added each day, it isn't possible to go back and get everything made to match what i want. But with the right tool, it could be very easy. I know it is possible to select hundreds of items and make them all capital letters, or all lowercase. I just need to be able to also do it to the folders that are inside of those folders and so on down to the smallest files in the very last folders. . All of the folders have files in them. The total number of files in the folders is 37.112. I would like every file and folder to keep the same name it has now, but with any capitalization changed to lower case letters. Can this be done to folders and files that are within the upper folders without going all the way in to them? A whole lot of this has already been done by me and one or two others when we receive the files, but seeing as how it isn't a necessity, a lot of it gets passed over. It would just really be a matter of telling selecting EVERY file in the main folder. I hope my explanation here is making sense. If anyone could help me, I would be so grateful. Please let me know if you need me to further explain or anything. Thanks!
shigg

Re: New guy hoping to learn a little

Postby Luuk » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:01 pm

Welcome Shigg! Please to try this in settings: "Actions", "List", then to put checkmark in "Auto-Select All Items After Listing A Folder".
Extension(11) is to be "Lower" and Case(4) is to be "Lower", then Filters(12) is to have checkmark in Folders, Files, and SubFolders.
Luuk

Postby Luuk » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:12 pm

Here is some better settings in Filter(12).. The mask is to have [A-Z] and put the checkmark in "Match Case" and "Regex". Then to click the blue arrows by Regex and it only presents the names with uppercase!
Luuk

Postby shigg » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:50 am

Thank you for your replies Luuk. I tried what you said to do and it certainly seems to scan everything, but it does not make any changes. I'm including a screenshot so that you can see what everything looks like after the scanning happens (nothing is visible in the big window anymore) and you can see that I selected the things you told me to at Extension 11, Case 4, and Filter 12. I kind of understand how each of the parameters plays a part in getting the result, I Maybe someone else will stop by and have some answers. Or maybe you can think of something, Luuk?

shigg

Postby therube » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:13 pm

12:Filters, remove the *. It should only be, [A-Z]
therube

Postby shigg » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:09 pm

therube wrote:12:Filters, remove the *. It should only be, [A-Z]

OK, thanks. I will try that when I get home later and post with results. What exactly does that "Mask" do? What coes adding the "[A-Z]" in there do?
shigg

Postby shigg » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:43 pm

Was able to do it remotely. IT WORKED!!! Thank you so much for your assistance guys!! I;m so excited that I've finally found a way to do this fairly simply and can't believe how much time I've spent over the last few years attempting to do it all manually.
shigg

Return to Suggestions