BRU in Wine on Linux

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

BRU in Wine on Linux

Postby Bladeforce » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:44 pm

Hello,

I have been using BRU for years with windows but have decided to run with Linux now. BRU works great with wine but with one glaring problem, the context menu. I am trying to add functionality to kde's dolphin file manager through service menus and after reading the forums the command i should need is this
wine "/media/ade/Games/Wine/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Bulk Rename Utility/Bulk Rename Utility.exe" "%L"

Unfortunately the location is not passed through to BRU under wine.
Is there anything I am missing here or is this something i should flag up with the wine boffins?

Many thanks for the great software
Bladeforce

Re: BRU in Wine on Linux

Postby Bladeforce » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:03 pm

Hi Just a follow up to this. I managed to sort the problem out with this command,

wine "/media/ade/Games/Wine/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Bulk Rename Utility/Bulk Rename Utility.exe" "`winepath -w %f`"

Hope this helps others in the future
Bladeforce

Postby Admin » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:14 am

That is great!
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bladeforce » Sun May 16, 2021 1:18 pm

There are quirks between windows and linux using this method. For example filenames with expressions ok under unix but not under windows throw an error but in general it works well. Only a linux version would help here
Bladeforce

Postby Bladeforce » Sun May 16, 2021 1:27 pm

Just a follow up for KDE users trying this in wine. This is the contents of a dekstop file you place in ~/.local/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus/ to make it appear in the context menu under dolphin

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Service
ServiceTypes=KonqPopupMenu/Plugin
MimeType=all/all
Actions=rename;
X-KDE-Priority=TopLevel
X-KDE-StartupNotify=false
Icon=<path to custom icon>

[Desktop Action rename]
Name=Bulk Rename Utility Open Here
Icon=<path to custom icon>
Exec=wine "<path to Bulk Rename Utility.exe>" "`winepath -w %f`"