Bug Report - Exception List for Title Case Not Working

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

Bug Report - Exception List for Title Case Not Working

Postby MilesOldfield » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:08 am

That's pretty much it, in the subject line. Exception list is completely ignored in Title case. Also, I believe you mentioned that the default for title case used NYT format. I don't think that is set up correctly either. It always leaves "and" set to upper case and I'm pretty sure NYT doesn't do that. If it does (I know NYT is weird), then I think you should use a different standard.
MilesOldfield

Re: Bug Report - Exception List for Title Case Not Working

Postby MilesOldfield » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:12 am

Actually, I think you should use another standard because NYT is weird. :?
MilesOldfield

Postby Admin » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:21 am

What has changed now for Title case is that the exceptions are now words.

Exceptions work differently with the Title case option. When Title case is selected, Exceptions will contain an additional list of words separated by : that are not to be capitalized unless they are at the start or at the end. By default a, and, as, at, but, by, en, for, if, in, of, on, or, the, to, v., vs., and via are not capitalized when nothing is specified in Exceptions.
But you can add more words not to be capitalized in exceptions, for example, no:nor:not:off:out:so:up. Instead if you want to clear the default words then use <clear>, for example, <clear>:and:or will clear the default exception list and then not capitalize only and and or. If you want to ignore all words that are all caps, use the word <ic>. You can also specify words that you always want full caps, for example: BEETHOVEN:MOZART:LISZT

List of special tags supported in Exceptions:
· <clear> : for Title case, it clears all default words that are not to be capitalized unless they are at the start or at the end. The default words are: a, and, as, at, but, by, en, for, if, in, of, on, or, the, to, v., vs., and via.
· <ic> : for Title case, ignore words that are all caps and do not change capitalization for them.
· <rnlo> : lower case all Roman Numerals regardless.
· <rnup> : upper case all Roman Numerals regardless. For example, if you had a file called "Beethoven's niNTH syMPHONY part iii", you might want to use Title Case to format the filename, but this would impact the "iii". Specify <rnup> in the Exceptions to upper case all Roman Numerals.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby MilesOldfield » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:04 pm

Wow, you did do a major rework of the Title Case. My exception list loads automatically, and because it's meant for the old one, it didn't work right.

Odd, though. I deleted the exception list and tried Title Case again, but it still didn't work properly ("and" was still capitalized). I'll try setting it to not load the exception list automatically on start and work on making a new exception list. I think you've made a major improvement here.

Thanks!
MilesOldfield

Postby Admin » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:25 pm

Was "and" that was still capitalized at the start or end of the sentence / name?
Admin
Site Admin

Postby MilesOldfield » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:29 am

No, it was after a comma. With Case (4) unchecked, I have:

Disc 1 of 3 - 01 - Concerto in D Minor for Oboe, Strings, and Harpsichord, RV 454 - I. Allegro.mp3
Disc 1 of 3 - 02 - Concerto in D Minor for Oboe, Strings, and Harpsichord, RV 454 - II. Largo.mp3
Disc 1 of 3 - 03 - Concerto in D Minor for Oboe, Strings, and Harpsichord, RV 454 - III. Allegro.mp3

Checking Case in Title mode with nothing at all in the exceptions list I get:

Disc 1 of 3 - 01 - Concerto in D Minor for Oboe, Strings, And Harpsichord, Rv 454 - I. Allegro
Disc 1 of 3 - 02 - Concerto in D Minor for Oboe, Strings, And Harpsichord, Rv 454 - Ii. Largo
Disc 1 of 3 - 03 - Concerto in D Minor for Oboe, Strings, And Harpsichord, Rv 454 - Iii. Allegro

The "RV" and Roman numerals changed as expected, but the "and" capitalized. The "And" doesn't change when adding "and" to the exceptions, but adding "And" to the exceptions changes it to "AND". I've tried it with various combinations of colons and spaces. I've not had time to read the new HELP information on it in depth yet, so there are things I need to learn about.

Adding "rv" to the exception list doesn't un-capitalize "Rv", but adding "Rv" or "RV" makes it all caps. Does the exception list not un-capitalize things at all? That's something I've made use of in my exception list fairly often.

Working with the Roman numerals, adding "II:III:" capitalizes the second and third movements, but so does "Ii:Iii" while "ii:iii" does nothing. Adding the period after the numerals causes it not to work as well. I often use periods in my exceptions to find abbreviations and ends of sentences. Many other special marks are used as well, but I haven't done any testing on it yet. Parenthesis, ampersands, hashmarks (#), and the "space dash space" I use to separate fields in the titles, e.g., <Disk> - <Track> - <Title> are a few.

Did you increase the size of the exception list beyond its previous 99 character limit? I haven't checked that out either.
MilesOldfield

Postby Admin » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:46 am

I think we still need to put more work into Title Case ...
we need to allow both words as exceptions and exceptions as it was dealt with before.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Luuk » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:20 am

This not much help, but maybe temporary, we can use the RegEx(1) with "v2" to grant some lowercase exceptions.
Like if the words "And" or "RV" or "More" should always be in lowercase, using the Match and Replace like...

(?i)\b(and|rv|more)\b/g
|\L$1
This so that "|" can smuggle the lowercases past Case(4), so then Remove(5) "Chars" to destroy the "|" ????
Luuk

Postby BogStandard » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:47 pm

[quote="Admin"]I think we still need to put more work into Title Case ...
we need to allow both words as exceptions and exceptions as it was dealt with before.[/quote]

Hi Admin.

I have just seen your comment on this thread suggesting you are looking at your implementation of Case(4).

Can I ask you to look at three aspects?

1) Problem: Case(4) (Title) strips multiple spaces
Solution: Allow an Excep. of multiple spaces :spacespace: :spacespacespace: to override space stripping

2) Problem: Case(4) (Same, Lower, Upper, Title, Sentence) Excep. <rnlo> and <rnup> change all words that have any combination of cdilmvx to Roman numerals case
Solution: Allow Excep. to override words for example as in <rnup>:dim:mid:vim:dill:midi:mild:mill:Civic:Civil:Livid:mimic:vivid:

3) Addition: Would you consider a TickBox for Case(4) Excep. to enable/disable just the the exceptions as a functional improvement?

Regards..
BogStandard

Postby jnyl42 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:02 pm

Would it be possible to add the old Title case back, and maybe call the new one NYT or something?

Hyphen and underscore don't count as separators anymore, which only leaves spaces... which is not good if you're moving files to *nix servers, etc.

Doesn't really make sense to use newspaper headlines case on computer files, in my opinion.
jnyl42

Postby Admin » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:44 pm

Yes, we are restoring this in the next update and have a new Title Case option.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:21 am

We have released the new version with this fix 8)
Admin
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions