Group Affected Files

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

Group Affected Files

Postby deeplyblue » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:39 pm

I'm busy doing a major re-organisation of my chaotic ebook files. Part of this is imposing a uniform naming scheme and BRU + regex has been invaluable.

I have only very recently discovered the "Group Affected Files" feature and wished I'd seen it ages ago. However, I have one niggle with this feature.

Sometimes I need to apply a very simple operation, such as replacing most underscores with spaces over a long list of files. I really need to check them, to be sure that I actually want that change - and being able to group all the affected files is very handy. So far, so good. Suppose I then need to carry out another operation on the same long list of files - say replacing a sequence "] - " with just "] " (it happens a lot!). I clear the old instructions, put in the new ones and find that BRU no longer groups the affected files. Check the Display Options->Sorting->Group Affected Files and it shows with a check against it. The only way that I have found to get a further set of files grouped is to uncheck the "Group Affected Files" and then re-check it. BRU then displays the new collection of affected files at the top of the list.

I always mean to uncheck the "Group Affected Files" option when I've finished to leave it ready for the next time. And I always forget.

It's hardly a major problem, but it is a ever-present irritation.

Is it possible to make this a persisting choice (like, say ignoring extensions) rather than an operation which needs repeating every time?

db
deeplyblue

Re: Group Affected Files

Postby Luuk » Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:36 pm

For myself, I do just always leave this checkmark inside for the menu "Display Options, Sorting, Group Affected Files".
But when changing the instructions, I just click the "New Name" column twice, to present the changes on top.
Luuk

Return to Suggestions