3 items : 2*rename-pairs and 1*command line autostart

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

3 items : 2*rename-pairs and 1*command line autostart

Postby alin_derom » Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:40 pm

Hello,
these are actually 3 related functionalities I don't see in BRU (3.4.4)
What am I looking for : There are a couple of files for which i'd like to change the file attributes "automatically". With automatically i mean that i make a link(shortcut) or .BAT file. I activate (double-click) the link or .BAT file and all files are processed

Long explanation :
- There is a folder (c:\data\pictures\) with actually 6 files, and i'd like to reset the file attributes of all the files but 2.
- I can save and reuse a .bru file e.g "c:\prog\bru344\Bulk Rename Utility.exe" attrib_reset.bru with the new attributes configured
- I can make and import a "import rename-pairs" file e.g. "attributes_to_be_reset.txt"
Problems :
- Problem 1 : When i import the files through import rename-pairs, I can import a list from repair-pairs. I see the information "Rename Pairs imported" but none of the files are highlighted in order to be processed. Question : How can I say "automatically select/highlight the files in the list as the files that have to be processed".
- Problem 2 : When running BRU on the command line (.BAT file or shortcut), i cannot add the rename-pairs file". I'd like to be able to give the following command (or analog) : "c:\prog\bru344\Bulk Rename Utility.exe" attrib_reset.bru /f:attributes_to_be_reset.txt
- Problem 3 : how can I make a rename-pairs files that is equivalent to "all files in the folder except the mentionned files". A format of this file could be (using the minus as to list the files that do not have to be processed)

*.*
- do_not_process_me.ini
- also_dont_process_me.exe

Is there a way to do these 3 things ?
alin_derom

Questions about Rename Pairs

Postby Luuk » Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:12 am

For the questions, you can probably just go to http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5935#p16342
If its not answering all of your questions, this is how Im translating your post...

I want to edit a few file's attributes by making a shortcut or .bat to process them.
"C:\data\pictures\" has 6-files, I want to 'reset' their attributes, excluding 'me.ini' and 'me.exe'.

Question-1: When using Import Rename-Pairs, can its filenames be auto-selected?
Question-2: Can I specify a rename-pairs-file from the command-line?
Question-3: Can rename-pairs-files specify any exceptions?

1: No, the only auto-selections are conducted with a checkmark inside the menu... "Actions, List, Auto-Select All Items".
Then Filters(12) "Mask" could decide your selections, so you could just save all 6 file-specs into the "Mask".
But if wanting all files except for "me.ini" and "me.exe", an easier "Mask" would be... * !me.ini !me.exe

2: No, the bru will only accept 1-of-either: C:\Working\Folder -or- C:\Path\To\SettingsFile.bru.
Im also not discovered any ways to auto-load a rename-pairs-file from "Bulk Rename Utility.ini"

3: No, they do only accept path-characters or filename-characters, and use '|' or ',' as their separators.

If its me, with only haing 4-filenames to conduct, I would probably just put everything into either RegEx(1) or Replace(3).
This way, everything can be saved into the .bru-file, so then everything could be auto-loaded, and selected for renaming.
You could also use the command-line brc64.exe to rename them automatically, but then you wont get to see any previews.

If the translations is incorrect, just say which questions should be different, and maybe I can provide more suggestions.
Luuk

Re: 3 items : 2*rename-pairs and 1*command line autostart

Postby alin_derom » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:44 am

Thanks,
you interpreted the questions well.
Since no automatic features are available i'll usehttp://www.nirsoft.net/utils/bulk_file_changer.html
alin_derom

Re: 3 items : 2*rename-pairs and 1*command line autostart

Postby therube » Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:24 pm

(Heh.
I was going to recommend a batch file, or Bulk File Changer.
Note that BFC can be run from a command-line, with no need for the GUI to appear.)
therube

Questions about Rename Pairs

Postby Luuk » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:33 pm

For myself, I would rather just use 1-application to edit all 4-filenames and their attributes at the same time.
So Im guessing there is probably something else, besides my 3 translated questions, that should also be conducted?
Luuk

Return to Suggestions