Prevent Duplicates differently...

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

Prevent Duplicates differently...

Postby Dementor » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:21 pm

Hi :)
I use the prevent duplicates option but noticed it has some limitations.
I'll start by saying I've been going along for years with the windows version of preventing duplicates, which is to add " (2)" as a suffix to the end of the file.
Nowadays, if I want to get that windows version of handling duplicates, I use the format %name% (%count%).
It's good, yet it does differ from the windows version: instead of adding the suffix " (2)" it adds " (1)".
What I would absolutely LOVE to have is the ability to start the counter from 2 and not from 1, exactly as it is in the windows renaming format for duplicates.

Even better: let's say we have 4 files with same name (1 that stays as it is and 3 that are handled as duplicates). What the program will do now is name the files as such:

File.jpg
File (1).jpg
File (2).jpg
File (3).jpg

If there could be a way to also rename the first file, that'd be exactly what I've searching for for months now. That's the one key element that drives me nuts haha.
In that way, the files would like like this:

File (1).jpg
File (2).jpg
File (3).jpg
File (4).jpg

Hope these things are in any way possible because I love BRU. I believe the second suggestion would need the ability to detect duplicates beforehand (to know it needs to rename the first file as well), which I don't know if possible for BRU to do, and only then go for the renaming process... Still, would be amazing to have that option.
Thanks for reading and taking into consideration !!! :D
Dementor

Re: Prevent Duplicates differently...

Postby Admin » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:24 pm

Hi I think for the second option, it could be done by adding a counter with Numbering (10) using the "break" option.
Rename original counter first and add new one.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dementor » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:45 am

Admin wrote:Hi I think for the second option, it could be done by adding a counter with Numbering (10) using the "break" option.
Rename original counter first and add new one.

But wouldn't the Numbering (10) option rename all files in the folder?
Imagine I have a folder filled with thousands of photos (which I do). My focus is only on duplicates found amongst these files (like some photos that are being renamed to the minute they were both taken in, thus creating a duplicate; whilst in the same folder there are photos without any duplicates detected by BRU because there were no other photos taken in the same minute). Numbering (10), as I understand it, makes a change to all files, whether or not they have potential duplicates. So this doesn't really solve the issue...
Dementor

Postby Admin » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:17 am

Oh ,yes you are right! it would rename also the non-duplicates! Maybe Luuk and/or therube know if it's possible to start duplicates from 1 instead of no counter.... :?:
Admin
Site Admin

Postby alexosh » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:09 am

I think in order to make it generic, I think it would be possible to apply a filter on duplicates.

Pass #1 - Create the proposed names
Pass #2 - Apply indexing to duplicates (this is the new feature), indexing starts at 1
alexosh

Postby Dementor » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:42 pm

alexosh wrote:I think in order to make it generic, I think it would be possible to apply a filter on duplicates.

Pass #1 - Create the proposed names
Pass #2 - Apply indexing to duplicates (this is the new feature), indexing starts at 1

Sounds like this could work !
Indeed, it requires creating a new feature... Maybe it's also an opportunity to make duplicate renaming even more customizable.
Dementor

Return to Suggestions