Rename of File and Add Appendage to all Lines Within File's

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

Rename of File and Add Appendage to all Lines Within File's

Postby gord323 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:55 pm

Hi,

I've looked around for this facility but I can't find anything like it already exists on your application.

I want to rename a file to a number of different filenames, using the text on each line of an input file and appending it to the existing filename. Also the contents of each renamed file must append the text taken from each line of the file in turn and append it to the end of each line of text in the newly named file.

Here is a description of what needs to be done in greater detail:

There is a text file called 'appendages' and another text file called 'seed'.
The macro will go through all the words in the 'appendages' file one by one (one on each line) and copy each one.
It will then add the word(s) to the end of the 'seed' file filename.
The macro will then save the new filename.
It will then open the 'seed' file and add the word(s) to the end of each line in the 'seed' file one by one, until the end of the file.
Then the macro will go to the next word(s) in the 'appendages' file and do the same.
The macro will repeat the process with each of the word(s) in the 'appendages' file until it completes the process with the last word(s) in the 'appendages' file.
Then it will stop.

Example:
I have a text file named 'appendages' and another text file named 'seed'.
The appendages file contains the names of all states in the USA, in alphabetical order.
The seed file contains a short description of holidays such as "camping holiday in". There are about 100 lines of similar holiday-based phrases which all end with the word "in". So I want to append a state name to each line of text in the file and rename it to 'seed [NAME OF STATE].
The first word in the appendages file is "alabama" (lower case). So this is appended to each line within the file. Then the file is renamed 'seed alabama'.
This process should continue to the end of the 'appendages' file.
Then the process will end.

Is it possible to do this with your application?

It may be that having an input file (the 'appendages' file) would take it outside the scope of the application's capabilities. But there's no harm in asking.

Can anyone point me to a solution, I wonder?
gord323

Re: Rename of File and Add Appendage to all Lines Within File's

Postby Admin » Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:12 am

Hi! this is a very specific requirement... it sounds like it needs a custom program written in PHP Javascript Powershell or other to do all the text replacements.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rename of File and Add Appendage to all Lines Within File's

Postby gord323 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:45 pm

As I thought, it's a bit beyond the application's range. I'll seek alternatives.

Thank you.
gord323

Return to Suggestions