Renaming Files with Non-ASCII Characters

A swapping-ground for Regular Expression syntax

Renaming Files with Non-ASCII Characters

Postby jkenny23 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:49 am

Hello, I'm trying to bulk rename a bunch of files that contain symbols and Japanese characters using BRU, but not finding anything that works. I tried the suggestions here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4045 (but this won't help with the Japanese) and here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3538 It seems this doesn't help with stripping Unicode. Any ideas?
jkenny23

Re: Renaming Files with Non-ASCII Characters

Postby therube » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:58 pm

Examples of the names you have & what you're trying to get to?
therube

Postby jkenny23 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:35 am

Here's a few:

SAYOHIMEBOU - ??OK?????????
Saury - ?????????Intuit May - 01 After school ?????(Intro)
Soul?Craft - ???????? - PARTNERS
ST?QQ ?VERFL? - PR?MISE

It's vaporwave music folders/files, which if you're not familiar, loves using Japanese and symbols in their filenames, which makes it impossible for me to burn them to CD with ImgBurn without renaming. End result I'm fine with removing all characters that aren't ASCII, or replacing with some similar ones (though I realize that would be more work since I would need a LUT).
jkenny23

Postby jkenny23 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:37 am

Here's a few:

SAYOHIMEBOU - ??OK?????????
Saury - ?????????Intuit May - 01 After school ?????(Intro)
Soul?Craft - ???????? - PARTNERS
ST?QQ ?VERFL? - PR?MISE

It's vaporwave music folders/files, which if you're not familiar, loves using Japanese and symbols in their filenames, which makes it impossible for me to burn them to CD with ImgBurn without renaming. End result I'm fine with removing all characters that aren't ASCII, or replacing with some similar ones (though I realize that would be more work since I would need a LUT).
jkenny23

Postby jkenny23 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:38 am

Here's a few:https://pastebin.com/raw/jc9PfbFn (Attempted to post here directly but it gave a forum SQL error haha).

jkenny23

Postby therube » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:24 pm

Thinking the only methods available are going to be as you've already linked to.
Character Translations or using JavaScript Renaming.
(With JS, I'd think you could set a range, say, \u0020-\u007F, instead of enumerating each item?)

Or you could go with 5:Remove -> Chars (pasting unwanted chars in the the dialog box).
(5:Remove -> High, will not do it.)
therube

Return to Regular Expressions