Renaming folders through drag and drop?

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Renaming folders through drag and drop?

Postby Renamox » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:45 pm

Is there a way to drag and drop folders themselves, to operate on the dragged folders' names instead of their contents?

The default behavior for folder drag'n'drop is to display the contents of a dragged folder. The problem is, I often need to rename a whole bunch of folders that are not located in the same directory. I use a search in Everything to find them, but then I can't easily rename them all at once by dragging them into BRU. Is there some setting or shortcut to prefer listing the dragged folders instead of their contents? I tried dragging with SHIFT or CTRL to no avail.

I hope I'm overlooking something obvious, but if that functionality is actually missing it would easily rank as my #1 desirable missing feature to implement.
Renamox

Re: Renaming folders through drag and drop?

Postby therube » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:25 pm

therube

Re: Renaming folders through drag and drop?

Postby Renamox » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:38 am

therube wrote:d&d is the issue.
viewtopic.php?p=15241#p15241

I may have missed something while skimming that thread but don't think it's the same issue. The problem, again, that if you drag and drop a folder (or several folders) into BRU's main area, then it quite naturally lists their contents without any issues. What I often need to do, however, is to rename the folders themselves while completely ignoring their content. So ideally, I'd like to drag and drop the said folder while holding some kind of a modifier key like SHIFT and the program listing it instead.

Since BRU has no problem identifying which folders' contents to list, it obviously knows their paths as well and could definitely list these folders instead. That's why I was hoping it was some silly oversight on my end. I'd hate for this to be a missing feature, considering that the development of this otherwise awesome program seems to have stalled indefinitely... Oh, just in case anyone finds this while also looking for a solution to this problem, know that Everything also has a renaming feature accessible via F2, though it's not nearly as advanced as BRU's powerful toolset and is usually not applicable to my specific needs.
Renamox

Return to BRU Support