Titles Turn Red Names Don't Update

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Titles Turn Red Names Don't Update

Postby jage » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:47 pm

Version 2.7.1.1 on WinXP SP3

What does it mean when the option headers turn red? Whenever I change anything except "Selections (12)" the option header turns red and the New Name does not update.

Attached is an image where I changed one thing in each field, turning each red as I changed them, but you can see there is no difference in the file list, save for the changes made to selections. Both files are writable and I've changed several things in one or more sections to try to get some combination that works- even a simple numbers prefix or changing the extension doesn't work.

jage

Re: Titles Turn Red Names Don't Update

Postby Stefan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:37 pm

Hi jage, hi all

here are some basics about BRU

1.) read the BRU help file "Bulk Rename Utility.chm":

read about "Getting Started" in Overview section. Cite: "There are four simple golden rules to follows:"

read about "Renaming Files and Folders" in the "Using the application" section. Cite: "The criteria are processed from left to right, according to the number listed against each section. So for example, a text replace will be performed before a change of case. The specific operations are as follows:"

2.) for using BRU please note:
- if you modify an rule-box, then the header wents into red color to indicate that this rule is in use
- with the [ ]-checkbox you can disable an rule temporally, without deleting the contain, meaning this rule is NOT in use
- with the [R]-button you can reset an box to default, meaning this rule is NOT in use
- to see an preview in the "New Name"- column, Select the files you want to preview (Click the files, Shift+click to select a range, Ctrl+click, Ctrl-A etc.)
That's all: just select one or more files to watch what's the rules will do while you modify them.
( The renaming itself should also rename selected names only, see BRU-help "Overview > Getting Started" )

HTH? :D
Stefan

Postby jage » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:31 pm

Yeah, Selecting the Files was the thing I was missing. Great Program once that was clear... and I looked too, I searched the documentation for "red" and everything else I could think of... the red combined with the unupdated file names and the inactive button made me think something was wrong.

Two suggestions: Use a Forest Green instead of Red... red generally indicates a problem. Second, when there are no files selected put a tool tip on the inactive rename button that says "You must select files" or something along those lines... the necessity to select files in the file window was lost on me (obviously).

Like I said, really great, hope the suggestions help you to improve it!
jage

Postby aradiamorgaine » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:52 pm

Hi, first time poster, and I've done a quick look-through of already posted questions-- this one seems to be similar to mine but not quite the same: I'm trying to add a prefix to a list of mp3's that currently are named as follows:
01-artist_name-song_title.mp3
02-artist_name-song_title.mp3

etc etc
I'm highlighting all the files, going to Add (7) and typing what I want into the Prefix box, the Add (7) title turns red indicating it's in use... but nothing shows up on the files I have highlighted. I've used BRU for exactly this purpose before and had no problems... is there perhaps an issue with the files themselves? or am I missing something?

If I'm just missing something glaringly obvious, I humbly apologize for my obtuseness. =)
aradiamorgaine

Postby Stefan » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:15 pm

Hi Aradia, welcome.
aradiamorgaine wrote:I'm trying to add a prefix to a list of mp3's that currently are named as follows:
01-artist_name-song_title.mp3
02-artist_name-song_title.mp3
etc etc
I'm highlighting all the files,
going to Add (7) and typing what I want into the Prefix box,
the Add (7) title turns red indicating it's in use... but nothing shows up on the files I have highlighted.
I've used BRU for exactly this purpose before and had no problems...
is there perhaps an issue with the files themselves? or am I missing something?
I don't see what's going wrong.
It seams you do it all right.
- select the files in the Name column
- Add(7) : Prefix: New
and in the NewName column you should see
New 01-artist_name-song_title.mp3
New 02-artist_name-song_title.mp3

And i think: if you can see the files you can also see the preview in the NewName column too (the renaming may be an other story?)
So i can't see why it doesn't works for you.
Stefan

Postby aradiamorgaine » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:02 pm

yeah, that's what I thought. It SHOULD work. But it doesn't. Can't figure out why. :( :( :(
aradiamorgaine

Return to BRU Support