Find - Rename - copy

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Find - Rename - copy

Postby tester » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:14 am

Hi everyone,
I have not seen this specifically answered but I will ask.
Can this product search for every jpg photo on my C: drive (not just certain sub directories), change the name of every photo it finds to say photo1 photo2 etc.... and copy all renamed photos to my E: drive, leaving the original jpg's where they were with their original name.
If it is possible what boxes would one use to accomplish this?
Also is there a "Preview" button/function that will do a dry run so that one can see what it will do before you actually do it?
Thank You in Advance..........
tester

Re: Find - Rename - copy

Postby Stefan » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:57 am

tester wrote:Hi everyone,
I have not seen this specifically answered but I will ask.
Can this product search for every jpg photo on my C: drive (not just certain sub directories), change the name of every photo it finds to say photo1 photo2 etc.... and copy all renamed photos to my E: drive, leaving the original jpg's where they were with their original name.
If it is possible what boxes would one use to accomplish this?
Also is there a "Preview" button/function that will do a dry run so that one can see what it will do before you actually do it?
Thank You in Advance..........

Hi tester, welcome.

tester > search for every jpg photo on my C: drive
That could be really a lot ! And will take some time !
And BRU may not be responsible for a long time.
Do this on your own risk! Do some testings before. And then make an another test run :roll:
And don't forget to enable "Copy not Move" as explained below.
You can open an DOS-Box and use
C:\> C:
C:\> cd \
C:\>Dir /S *.jpg
to see how many jpgs you have, or use
C:\>Dir /S *.jpg > C:\myJPGs.txt
to get an list of all your jpgs.

I didn't try if this really works... so test this with test files on an test-pc first. At least NOT with the entirely C:-Partition at first.
"Selections(12) [ *.jpg]" "[ ]Folders" "[X]Files" "[X]Subfolders"
Now you will see all JPGs from your C:

tester > change the name of every photo it finds to say photo1 photo2 etc....
"File(2) [Fixed] [photo ]"
"Numbering(10) [Suffix] [Pad 10]"
And read the BRU help about "Options-menu > Prevent Duplicates"

tester > copy all renamed photos to my E: drive,
"New Location(13) [ your new path E:\myPics]"
And read the BRU help about "Options-menu > New Location Copy not Move"
This other folder "E:\myPics" must exist.

tester > Also is there a "Preview" button/function that will do a dry run so that one can see what it will do before you actually do it?
Only that what you see in BRU as "Name" and "New Name". Just select a few files and look at "New Name" while you fill out the renaming options.

Report us how it works :wink:
Stefan

Postby tester » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:19 am

Thanks,
Sorry I took so long to reply but life got in the way. Thank You, I will let you know if it worked....
:)
tester

Postby tester » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:52 am

Hi,
It seemed to work but died after 1841 files were renamed.
Generated an error report to Microsoft. I ran it again and it worked.
AppName: bulk rename utility.exe AppVer: 2.7.1.1 ModName: bulk rename utility.exe
ModVer: 2.7.1.1 Offset: 0001b0c4

I noticed that in the main window where you see all the files to be renamed, you can not delete the ones that you don't want renamed. If you select the ones you don't want renamed and press delete it tries to actually "delete" the file for real instead of just removing it from the list. Is there a way just to remove it from the list of files to be converted?
tester

Postby tester » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:27 pm

Thanks,
This worked perfectly.
I was able to take ALL my photos that were scattered all over my computer and place them in one directory. Then I used this tool to rename them all sequentially. I then used a duplicate photo finder tool to remove all duplicates. Then I when through all the photos deleting photos that shouldn't be there (sample photos,screen savers etc...).Then I used this tool to rename them all sequentially again thus having no duplicate photos and everything numbered sequentially.
Now only if there was a way to keep them sorted by the date they were taken. They are mixed up now. Anyone have any thoughts on how I could have kept them sorted by date created?

Thanks
tester

Postby Stefan » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:51 pm

tester wrote:Thanks,
This worked perfectly.

Thanks for response :D

tester wrote:Now only if there was a way to keep them sorted by the date they were taken.
They are mixed up now.
Anyone have any thoughts on how I could have kept them sorted by date created?

* Take an look on menu "Options > Extract" and enable "Exif Data (Photos)"
* - to temporary sort (for the view only), click on the header of the "Taken(Original)" column.
* - to add this date into the file name check out: "Auto date(8) [Type: Taken]

HTH?

CU
Stefan

Return to BRU Support