Another 'Will BRU do this' question

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Another 'Will BRU do this' question

Postby NZCANGoose » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:08 pm

Hi and thanks for looking...

I am in need of a solution to speed up my workflow here at a graphics house.

The problem is that proprietory software outputs graphic files with random prefixes to a processing directory to avoid filename clashes before being passed to a storage and retrieval area.

Example:

af5p61b filename1.ext
af5p61b filename2.ext
af5p61b filename3.ext
67j4q filename1.ext
67j4q filename2.ext
67j4q filename3.ext etc

For each batch of input files, there is a different prefix string and the number of characters and numbers varies from 5 to 8 (approx).

The ONE common attribute is that the prefix is seperated from the filename by a space.

I Need:

To strip the prefixes from the filenames before the space.

To have a way to handle name clashes after the prefix strip (append a incrementing number if filename exists?)

Would like to have this running on the export directory automatically.

This rename process is being done manually by the image handlers at this time and is VERY time consuming.

I would very much appreciate your input.

Thank you!!

Goose
NZCANGoose

Postby Admin » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:43 pm

BRU can do most of this.

You can choose to crop everything before the space character. or you can create a Regula Expresison which treats the filename as three parts - the first group, then the space, then the rest.

Whichever you choose, you then add an auto-number suffix. This might not work every time, if the folder already contains files, but it will work if the folder contains ONLY the files you are renaming.

The only thing it can't handle is the "auto" functionality. However, you can save all your settings as a Favourite and then double-click the favourite to load all the data.

Hope this helps,

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby NZCANGoose » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:55 pm

Hi Jim...

Thanks for your fast reply!

Basically Yes! I want to crop all before the splitter (space) character.

The folder does contain ONLY the files to be renamed.

The issue is then how the rename process behaves when there are files of the same required name. For example:-

a67hq9r client001.tif
a67hq9r client002.tif
a67hq9r client003.tif
7r5gh1 client001.tif
7r5gh1 client0014.tif
7r5gh1 client00206.tif

The rename process would first rename the top 'client001' file and continue happily until it reached the '7r5gh1' version of 'client001'. This is the point where appending a number would solve the filename clash.

Can BRU deal with this scenario or do i need to process each batch seperately?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Goose
NZCANGoose

Postby Admin » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:08 pm

If you chose to rename ONLY the filename, removing just the stuff before the space, then when BRU reached the second batch it was complain that it couldn't rename.

What you should do instead is also apply an autonumber suffix, as this will guarantee that the filenames are unique. Maybe not 100% ideal, as you'll end up with files suffixed (or prefixed) with a number, but it would work.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby NZCANGoose » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:20 pm

Hi again...

I see. I'm not too upset about incrementing the filename as long as the body of the name remains (client identifier).

I have downloaded BRU and am attempting to make it work on a test batch (doesnt work yet, still getting my head around it)

Thanks a lot for your help Jim
NZCANGoose

Postby Admin » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:21 pm

Anything I can help with?
Admin
Site Admin

Postby NZCANGoose » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:05 pm

Just 'new user' syndrome :D

I had some leading spaces i didnt know about, created a 'first pass' favourite using 'trim' and all seems good.

Second pass favourite involves removing all before the space and adding an incrementing suffix.

Using option (5) and (9) only, I am trying to remove everything before the space.

Words: 1
Crop: Before
Option: (space character)
Trim: Checked

The preview looks great except the files with ones (1) in them. For example a files in the 16th & 17th row get renamed from:-

01.tif to 0_16.tif
01g.tif to 0g_17.tif

whereas consecutive files appear correct, ie: 18th row onwards:-

02.tif to 02_18.tif
03.tif to 03_19.tif

This appears consistant throughout the directory. 11.tif in the 92nd row for example, appears as:-

_92.tif

Is this something to do with my settings in option (9) Numbering?

My settings are:-

Mode: Suffix
at: 50 (to ensure the end of long filenames)
Start: 0
Incr.: 1
Sep: _

Very interested in your comments Jim...

Ongoing thanks....
NZCANGoose

Postby NZCANGoose » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:38 pm

I got it!

Duh! :oops:

I had in Remove (5)
Words: 1

Thinking 'words' meant a single string before the separator.

fixed now, excellent!

A 'couple of bottles of beer' payment is on its way...

Thanks Jim...
NZCANGoose

Postby Admin » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:41 pm

Well done :-)

Note that there's an option called "Highlight Active Critiria". This will colour the box of any grouping where there's a "rule" in place - useful for finding oddities like this one.

What to do now is save your settings as a "Favourite". This will get loaded automatically the next time you launch BRU.

Have fun! I'm away on a business trip for a few days now, but others here will help you out if you get stuck.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby NZCANGoose » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:56 pm

Payment is on its way Jim, thanks for your help.

Love the product, it will save me lots of time and stress!

Cheers

Goose (Simon)
NZCANGoose

Return to BRU Support