Sort by DATE? Please oh please......

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Sort by DATE? Please oh please......

Postby bilglas » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:50 am

A folder filled with EML files (Windows Mail) can be sorted, in Explorer, by the e-mail's DATE ... not the modified date, not the creation date, but the actual date of the e-mail. It would be quite wonderful if there were a way for BRU to recognize this sort criteria, so that files could be named/numbered in consecutive order of the e-mail's date. If there IS a way, currently, to achieve that, I'd love to have someone explain it to me.

Anticipating a question: Why isn't the Creation Date the same as the date of the e-mail? The EML files in question were originally "trapped" inside DBX files (having come from Outlook Express) or the Outlook.PST file (having come from Outlook). When that conversion occurred, it set a new Creation Date for all those files. But the original DATE of the e-mail itself hasn't changed.

This is my first visit here. I love this utility so much, I would marry it, if the state of Kansas permitted such things.
bilglas

Re: Sort by DATE? Please oh please......

Postby Stefan » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:27 am

bilglas wrote:A folder filled with EML files (Windows Mail) can be sorted,
in Explorer, by the e-mail's DATE ... not the modified date, not the creation date, but the actual date of the e-mail.
It would be quite wonderful if there were a way for BRU to recognize this sort criteria,
so that files could be named/numbered in consecutive order of the e-mail's date.
If there IS a way, currently, to achieve that, I'd love to have someone explain it to me.

I don't know... but try
* sort your files in WinExplorer
* drag&drop the sorted files to BRU
(there might be an issue with the last selected file... read the wikipedia for more)

bilglas wrote:Anticipating a question: Why isn't the Creation Date the same as the date of the e-mail?
The EML files in question were originally "trapped" inside DBX files (having come from Outlook Express) or the Outlook.PST file (having come from Outlook).
When that conversion occurred, it set a new Creation Date for all those files. But the original DATE of the e-mail itself hasn't changed.

An "Creation Date" is the date an file is created in the file system... this has nothing to do with the date when you arrived the mail itself.
Maybe there is an solution to extract the arrived-date and sync the Creation Date to it... or use the arrived-date as an part of the file name... but i don't know how since i don't need this ... you may want to google :wink:
Stefan

Re: Sort by DATE? Please oh please......

Postby bilglas » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:12 am

Sadly, even after sorting the way I want them in WinExplorer, when I drag them into BRU, they rearrange themselves ... don't know any way to keep them in the same order. And believe me, I've Googled this one until my fingers bled ... no luck.

Thanks very much for the effort, Stefan.
bilglas

Return to BRU Support