RE: Unsusal Counting Order Using Bulk Rename Utility!?!?

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

RE: Unsusal Counting Order Using Bulk Rename Utility!?!?

Postby montecarlo1987 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:46 pm

Hello. I have a question.

Okay, I have an issue using this program and the counting order. Let me ask a question about order (numbering) your files using Bulk Rename Utility. Anyways, when I open say 50 pictures in a folder using Windows 7, and they are labeled from 1 to 50, I see them arranged from 1 to 50 in counting order. That is how they are displayed. So far, so good.

Now, when I see the same files in Bulk Rename Utility, I see the order is odd... ...meaning it goes like this...

1,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,2,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,3,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,4,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,5,50.

Do you see the strange numbering order here? Now, obviously this is NOT the order I want. I want the normal everyday counting order from 1 to 50. First if I were to rename them using Bulk Rename Utility (going forward with the file name changes), this WOULD EFFECT the order of the way they are supposed to be arranged from 1 to 50 since they are out of order NOW EVEN BEFORE I BEGIN renaming them using the program???

So, FIRST WHY this odd numbering system created by Bulk Rename Utility using and SECOND, HOW CAN I CORRECT THE ORDER it should be from 1 to 50 BEFORE I BEGIN???

I have no issues with Windows 7 correct counting order arrangement, what is Microsoft doing that this program is not doing?

Please reply.

Thank you.
montecarlo1987

Re: RE: Unsusal Counting Order Using Bulk Rename Utility!?!?

Postby montecarlo1987 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:25 am

Hello. I will answer my own question after some research...

Okay, I found it. I have the latest version to date installed (v.2.7.1.2).

Okay, the steps I have to take:
1. Options -> Sorting -> Logical Sorting (check the box).
2. Following this, you will need to resort the order of the items you wish to file name change. To do this:
Click on "Name" (in the top title category row) twice (2x) in order to rearrange the order to the counting order you want.
Now, Bulk Rename Utility will remember your settings (that checked box "Logical Sorting") even if you keep open and closing Bulk Rename Utility. When you reboot/restart the system, you will have to recheck the box "Logical Sorting" again. By default, "Logical Sorting" is not checked.

Terminology:
What we call "counting order" or "alphabetical order", Bulk Rename Utility calls this "Logical Sorting".
What we call "string order", Bulk Rename Utility calls this "Absolute Sorting".

It was an earlier version of Windows that fixed this issue. This issue of string order was fixed with the Windows XP version.

***What I would recommend Bulk Rename Utility to have "Logical Sorting" THE DEFAULT setting over "Absolute Sorting" at this point in time.

No need to rely.
montecarlo1987

Re: RE: Unsusal Counting Order Using Bulk Rename Utility!?!?

Postby Stefan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:02 am

Fine you found it out your self :wink:

For others, please note there is an help file too:

Code: Select all
Options Menu
   Sorting > Logical Sorting
      This option allows you to sort filenames according to the default Windows XP sort-sequence.
      This allows files containing numbers to be sorted logically, e.g.1.txt, 2.txt, 10.txt, 11.txt, 21.txt.
      The default sort-sequence for all operating systems earlier than XP is to use absolute sorting,
                                                                  e.g. 1.txt, 10.txt, 11.txt, 2.txt, 21.txt.
Stefan

Return to BRU Support