Duplicate File Names - Limited Number?

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Duplicate File Names - Limited Number?

Postby Zybron » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:53 pm

First of all, excellent product. In the first five minutes of using BRU I believe I saved myself about 2 days of work. :)

I installed the beta after seeing that it incorporated a duplicate file name handler as I have a series of files that are of this sort:

name01.xyz
name05.xyz
differentname01.xyz
differentname03.xyz
stilldifferent04.xyz

and without having to select each different text portion to rename and renumber I thought the duplicate handler would be ideal for just taking the entire list and renumbering in one pass by dropping the numeric portion from the name. This seemed to be working fine until I had more than 20 of the files with the same text portion. I started receiving the warning message that the file could not be renamed because 'name_20.xyz' already existed.

Is this feature or bug? I could understand limiting the number of duplicates that are renamed, but if that is the case, perhaps it should be user specified?

BTW, if there is an easier way to do this, please let me know. I couldn't think of a regex match that would be appropriate for the renumbering and there doesn't appear to be a method to specify adding a numeric suffix based upon files with the same name, other than the duplicate file name handler in the new beta.
Zybron

Postby Admin » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:03 am

Yes this is a limit (and is documented). I will increase the limit to 99 for the final release but, to be honest, if people are exceeding 99 then they should really be rethinking their strategy. Attempting (and failing) to rename a whole batch of files 99 times cannot be a good plan....

So yes, at the moment it's 20, but the final release will be 99.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Return to BRU Support