BRU deleting files

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

BRU deleting files

Postby froglegs73 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:56 am

Hi,
First time posting
Great software, very useful
Im a big fan from Brazil.

Unfortunately, I´ve just made a big mess with some of my folders
You see, I keep my movie collection saparated in folders, one for each movie.
Inside the folders, I keep the movie and its subtitle
Each folder is named after the exact name of the movie, but the movie and subtitle files have that big name full of dots instead of spaces, plus the year of the movie, "DVDRIP", the "name" of the author of the rip, etc, etc

So,
I tried to use BRU to rename both movie and subtitle files after the name of their correspondet folder name, OK?
First I appended the folder name as a sufix, separating the file name with "+"
Then, I cropped everything after "+"
Finaly, I removed "+"
Looks perfect, right?

WRONG
Yours truly, for some insane, irrational, reason marked the option "ignore file extensions"
And so, what did BRU do, since, after renaming, it was left with many duplicate files?
It simply deleted the bigger ones (the movies) and left me with less than the subtitles, since it erased even the extensions!!!

I know, I know - my mystake. I ordered it to do so.
Is there any way to recover the movie files.
Where did BRU send them to?
I´ve searched the trashbin, tried hidden files, searched the whole computer.
(note - those folders were in a external Samsung 1Tb HD, not inside the computer)
Please help.

Still a big fan and user, though
froglegs73

Re: BRU deleting files

Postby Stefan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:03 am

Bad to hear this.
I have ever seen BRU show you more then one warning but then do what the user want him to do.

Please note that generally deleted files are not really gone but there space is just marked as "free".
Just STOP using this drive NOW!!!

You may try to use one of this undelete or file recovery tools found out in the net.
An good one is f.ex. "Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery " at >>> http://www.piriform.com/recuva
There is also an portable version to just un-pack at the "builds" side >> http://www.piriform.com/recuva/builds

No matter what tool you chose but be sure to read the help before you use it, or you will remove the deleted files forever.
Especially DO NOT RESTORE to the same drive !!!
Do restore to an other drive or you will (by any bad change) overwrite the as "free" marked places
with the first few restored files and so lose the remaining (not yet restored) files.
Stefan

Postby froglegs73 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:49 pm

Already tried Recuva and Undelete
Searched in both the external HD and in the computer where it was connected
No sucess

Christ
Those movies must have gone somewhere!!!
froglegs73

Postby Admin » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:42 pm

Hi, I am sorry to hear about this.
Did I understand correctly that two files were renamed both to the same file name and so the first one is gone?
I can only think to try to rename the subtitle file to the original name and then re-run the undelete software.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby froglegs73 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:46 pm

Thnaks to everyone who anserred the topic
Slowly (and painfuly) Im recovering some of the files, using Recuva
froglegs73

Return to BRU Support