2 things not working

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

2 things not working

Postby kohai » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:54 pm

I love this utility! I have run into two things today that left me scratching my head.

1. When using the "Import Rename-Pairs", any file names with Chinese, Korean, Cyrillic (Russian), etc, characters will fail to import. The normal latin character file names in the same import file work fine. When I say it will fail to import, I mean that it doesn't recognize the file name as matching a record in the import file.

2. When turning on "Log Activity", it doesn't actually create a log file. I need a record of what the original file name was and what the new file name is and I was hoping to use the log file for that. I am running Windows 7 (64 bit) and the Bulk Rename Utility is 2.7.1.2 (64-bit) which installed to c:\program files\. The help file says that the log file will be in the same directory as the Bulk Rename Utility exe and will have the same name but an extension of .log. It is nowhere to be found after renaming files and exiting the program. I tried everything I could think of and never could find a log file.

I thought I would pass this along for future fixes. This is the only powerful rename utility I have found.

Kohai
kohai

Re: 2 things not working

Postby myle00 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:57 am

I ran across the second issue on win7 64 bit where a log file wasn't created. To solve it you have to run the program as an administrator. I.e. if you run the program as an administrator the log file will be created in the program files directory.

I suspect this would be the same from all versions of vista and win7. It's probably because the default permissions don't let the program create a file in that location.

M
myle00

Postby mrtyu » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:30 pm

Hi kohai,

I'm struggling with the first issue you mentioned. I have a bunch of files with cyrillic characters and try to perform a rename of them via a pipe-separated text file with old and new names. Among the files are a couple of filenames with only ASCII characters - they work just fine, but the cyrillic ones seem not to be recognized.

Did you found a solution for this?

Best wishes

mrtyu
mrtyu

Postby kohai » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:01 pm

Never figured it out. I wrote a hack in python to do my rename for me at the time.
kohai

Postby mylaree » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:52 pm

I know this is a super old post.
However, I'm running into the same issue where I am working with Russian (Cyrillic) characters.
Running version 3.0.0.1.
Is there a way to do it in BRU using Rename Pairs or not really?

Thank you,
mylaree

Postby Admin » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:59 am

Hi, sorry, I am not sure that BRU supports UNICODE files for the Import Rename Pairs function....
Admin
Site Admin

Postby mylaree » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:57 pm

Admin wrote:Hi, sorry, I am not sure that BRU supports UNICODE files for the Import Rename Pairs function....

Thanks for your response. I ended up using powershell.
BRU is still an INCREDIBLE tool, thank you so very much.
mylaree

Return to BRU Support