Renaming pre-sorted files in a folder

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Renaming pre-sorted files in a folder

Postby suzee » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:12 am

Hello,

Is it possible to sort files in a folder and then rename them in this order using BRU? I've tried to do this but when I drag the files over, not all of them are in the correct order. I've done this before using Better File Rename, but I stopped using it when the Babylon Toolbar crashed my pc.

Thanks,
Suzee
suzee

Re: Renaming pre-sorted files in a folder

Postby Stefan » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:53 am

suzee wrote:Hello,

Is it possible to sort files in a folder and then rename them in this order using BRU? I've tried to do this but when I drag the files over, not all of them are in the correct order. I've done this before using Better File Rename, but I stopped using it when the Babylon Toolbar crashed my pc.

Thanks,
Suzee
Hi welcome.

When you drag from Explorer then the last selected file is dropped first, then the first selected file, then the others...

You can sort in BRU by clicking the column headers. Click twice to sort in the other direction.

You can enter temporarily some rename criteria so you can sort the NewName
- sort then by clicking the NewName column header, so the Name list is sorted now too
- DON'T rename
- remove your temporary criterias
- enter your real criterias

HTH?
Stefan

Re: Renaming pre-sorted files in a folder

Postby suzee » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:19 am

Thanks for the post Stefan, but this still doesn't work. BRU resorts the files alphabetically, which is a problem because I sort them by visual criteria before labeling them.
suzee

Return to BRU Support