How-To: Add BRUHere.dll to Context menu

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

How-To: Add BRUHere.dll to Context menu

Postby rwhunt » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:05 pm

Sorry if this has been covered before. I did a search and found no definitive answer or one that the "average" computer user might be comfortable with so I decided to post what I did. I already had v2.7.1.1 of the "no install" version * but was wishing it had a "Context" menu option which lead to reading the Help File (always a good idea!) which lead to the following:

1. I downloaded the latest version of BRU "Complete with installer" (but practically any version will work according to some posts I read).
2. I used this fantastic utility called Universal Extractor (http://legroom.net/software/uniextract#download) which "is a program designed to decompress and extract files from any type of archive or installer, such as ZIP or RAR files, self-extracting EXE files, application installers, etc.". Well, I used it's Context menu actually, by right-clicking on the BRU's "with installer" EXE file.
3. This "decompressed" it into a subdirectory (an option in UniExtract's Context menu) beneath which were other subdirectories. One was called "{app}" and inside that folder was...BRUhere.dll.
4. So I copied the BRUhere.dll file (along with the "Samples" folder which is NOT needed for this to work) into the directory where I had my "no install" BRU..."installed".
5. Then all that was necessary (thanks to the good ol' Help File) was to register the BRUhere.dll file. (I'll let the Help File take over now. This is under the Additional Features/Bulk Rename Here section under the Contents tab):
If you wish to enable or disable the Bulk Rename Here helper manually, it's easy to do. Assuming you installed Bulk Rename Utility into C:\Program Files\Bulk Rename Utility then you need to get a command line (Start, Run, cmd) and enter the following:

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Bulk Rename Utility\BRUHere.dll"

regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Bulk Rename Utility\BRUHere.dll"

And that's it! You'll get a dialog box letting you know if it "worked" or not. To clarify the Help File's instructions where you "get a command line" you just need to go to your Start Menu and choose Run. A box will come up with a place called "Open" where you can paste the above line (more on that in a second). There's no need to type "cmd". I say line because it might not be clear from the instructions that you enter either the first or the second regsvr32...line. Not BOTH. (Nor one after the other). The two lines are actually the same except for /u argument (option) in the second example. The first "registers" the DLL with the operating system. The second unregisters it (like, who would ever want to do that! :D ).

WARNING! The above is for the 32-bit version (XP in my case) but it should work in other 32-bit versions. Hopefully someone with experience with the 64-bit version and/or OSes newer than XP will chime in with what to enter differently for those scenarios.

* The original title to this post included "to the 'no install' version" but this works with the "Complete with installer" version too (if you forgot to check the box to add to context menu the first go round). All you do in that case is skip 1-5 down the where it quotes the Help File. But you still need read the paragraphs and WARNING that follows!

Well, this is my first time here but I just wanted add this to the forum since it seems a few others were looking for the same thing. Enjoy!
rwhunt

Return to BRU Support