Crash on directory with too many files?

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Crash on directory with too many files?

Postby dan_pub » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:49 am

Is there a known limit on the number of files BRU can handle in a directory?

I have the following problem: if I try to use BRU on a directory with too many files, BRU will crash while loading up the files.
Some of my photo folders have over 10,000 files. BRU switches to the folder, starts displaying the file list (side slider becoming smaller & smaller), then crashes before the end, without any message.

I use win XP SP3 and BRU 2.7.1.1. the problem occurs on a 500GB NTFS drive holding 334 GB of files, mostly *.jpg

I cannot pinpoint exactly how many is "too many", it does not seem to be consistently reproducible. I suspect it depends on the status of the system, how long it's been up. (resources issue?)
What is reproducible is that it will handle folders with few entries (<1,000) with no problem, and will choke on the biggest ones.
After it choked on a big folder, then it will choke on smaller ones that it could handle before. Until next re-boot.
Did anyone else meet this problem?

Is there a known limit to the number of files? any workaround?
dan_pub

Re: Crash on directory with too many files?

Postby Admin » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:46 am

The total mac files could be limited by memory, but 10k does not seem too much...
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Crash on directory with too many files?

Postby Fantail » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:03 pm

A possible cause for BRU crashing during bulk renaming of multiple folders,
is that one of the image file jpg's is corrupted in some way.

I have filtered out files doing this three times now.
I look at the bottom of BRU when it crashes, it gives the folder name it crashes on.
Remove that folder from the batch, and rerun and the rename goes smoothly as before.

By trial and error I have narrowed down the offending file.
Using IrFanView > view > Hex view, I see nothing amiss, it seems the same as a comparison file.
But I don't know much about how the files are constructed.
But for sure, there are files that cause a bump in the road once in awhile.
Fantail

Return to BRU Support