Skipped files during rename

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Skipped files during rename

Postby camjoo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:40 am

Hi everyone,

W7, BRU Ver 2.7.1.2

I ran BRU on a directory with sub-folders selected so that it could go down 2 levels. The selection included about 15000 files. The rename worked on about 13500 files no problem. Very impressed.

About 1400 files threw an error and I had to hit skip each time to continue through the selection. I have noticed the files that threw the error start at about 120 characters long. A few of the files that processed ok were 124 chars but almost every file over 120 threw an error. Even if I go to the file and singularly select the file it gives the same error- "The system cannot find the path specified."

Is there something I have missed maybe? Any ideas why 120 chars is the max for me? Any workarounds?

Thanks
camjoo

Re: Skipped files during rename

Postby bitmonger » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:51 am

Maybe you are running up against the maximum pathname length.
The maximum path on drive C is "C:\some 256-character path string<NUL>" where "<NUL>" represents the invisible terminating null character for the current system codepage. (The characters < > are used here for visual clarity and cannot be part of a valid path string.).

If the file names are 120+ characters, how long is the path preceding them to the root directory? If it is 130+ characters including backslashes and the drive letter you could be hitting the system limit.

If that is the problem, I have handled this by using the command line to assign a drive letter to the long winded path by means of SUBST.
There are other solutions as well.
bitmonger

Re: Skipped files during rename

Postby Bksfinest » Thu May 24, 2012 8:50 am

bitmonger wrote:Maybe you are running up against the maximum pathname length.
The maximum path on drive C is "C:\some 256-character path string<NUL>" where "<NUL>" represents the invisible terminating null character for the current system codepage. (The characters < > are used here for visual clarity and cannot be part of a valid path string.).

If the file names are 120+ characters, how long is the path preceding them to the root directory? If it is 130+ characters including backslashes and the drive letter you could be hitting the system limit.

If that is the problem, I have handled this by using the command line to assign a drive letter to the long winded path by means of SUBST.
There are other solutions as well.

I read this online, is this what you speak of. I am computer illiterate so please be detailed. Hi, I don't quite get you. open command prompt
navigate to folder with files
ren *.*.* *.*.txt
That is kind of vague.

Anyways, I have a major problem. I cant open the file to even rename it, I can't open it in lockhunter, unlocker, anything. The file name is so long I can't even open it or check properties I get the same message. Error: "The filename or extension is too long."

I tried 2 programs RenameMaestro and BulkRenameUtility-- I am new to both programs. So far Im not able to add the files to the program.

The file name is so long for a bunch of my files I can't even transfer them to my external hd or rename them by hand.
Bksfinest

Return to BRU Support