Not removing slashes

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Not removing slashes

Postby snitz427 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:24 pm

Hi there - totally new to BRU, but am savvy enough to understand the gist. I searched the forum and manual to no avail. I have a ton of files with illegal characters int he file name, for example : $37/ night New hotel Deals![1234].msg

I need to remove all the non alphabetical and numeric characters so that it reads: 37 night new hotel deals 1234.msg
I don't care if the spaces are lost, so long as the special characters aren't there. Using the Replace(3) / with . (I don't care if its . or blank). I also tried using the Remove(5) Symbols, as well as every other button in there individually. I tried to use RegEx(1) in the same way as replace. I don't really know how to use that one... but anyway, it removes everything except the /, and I'm desperately pressing buttons to get rid of that last /! I tried it with */ */* /*, etc to no avail. Nothing works, the darn / is still there.

Please help! This is a super rush priority for my boss and he is giving me the shifty eyes for not being able to do it. :oops:

Thanks!
snitz427

Re: Not removing forward slashes

Postby Stefan » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:34 pm

snitz427 wrote:Hi there - totally new to BRU, but am savvy enough to understand the gist.
I searched the forum and manual to no avail. I have a ton of files with illegal characters int he file name,
for example : $37/ night New hotel Deals![1234].msg

I need to remove all the non alphabetical and numeric characters so that it reads: 37 night new hotel deals 1234.msg
I don't care if the spaces are lost, so long as the special characters aren't there. Using the Replace(3) / with . (I don't care if its . or blank).
I also tried using the Remove(5) Symbols, as well as every other button in there individually.
I tried to use RegEx(1) in the same way as replace. I don't really know how to use that one... but anyway, it removes everything except
the /, and I'm desperately pressing buttons to get rid of that last /! I tried it with */ */* /*, etc to no avail.
Nothing works, the darn / is still there.

Please help! This is a super rush priority for my boss and he is giving me the shifty eyes for not being able to do it. :oops:

Thanks!

There can't be an slash / (forward slash or solidus) "char(47)" or "0x002F" in an file name.
It could be an unicode character 0x2044 (fraction slash) OR 0x2215 (division slash) that looks like an slash.
That should be possible to matched by an RegEx "\0x2044" OR "\0x2215", but i don't know which renamer can handle this.

For the others

$37 night New hotel Deals![1234].msg
TO:
37 night New hotel Deals1234.msg

USE:

Remove(5)
[X]Sym.

- - -

>>Please help! This is a super rush priority for my boss

If we had helped him, tell him he is always welcome to make an donation at >>> http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Donate.php

Stefan

Return to BRU Support