Rename in YMD HMS with Date Taken

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Rename in YMD HMS with Date Taken

Postby Rick Read » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:32 pm

Greetings,

I wish to rename my photos in the format YMDHMS based on the date and time the image was taken. This would assure unique names for all images and to index by date. To do so, from the Help I see I should be able to use Auto Date. This seems to work with, for example, Creation (Curr.) but it does not seem to work with any of the four Taken options. Yet, in Windows Explorer I have configured the column "Date taken" and I do see a date there. What might I be missing?

Thanking you in advance, great program.
Rick Read

Re: Rename in YMD HMS with Date Taken

Postby Stefan » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:40 pm

Rick Read wrote: What might I be missing?

Help > Additional Feature > Options Menu > Extract Exif Data
Use this option to say whether or not EXIF tags will be extracted from photographs. [...], but even this can slow down the processing a lot.
If you don't need these fields then leave this option un-ticked to speed up the processing.
Stefan

Postby Rick Read » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:05 pm

Thank you for your reply, but it does not address my issue, which is that BRU does not seem to work with any of the four Taken options.

In other words, I wish to set the filename based solely on the YMDHMS that the image was taken. The optimal filename for me would be in the form <YMDHMS>.jpg I choose Creation (Curr.) but it does not seem to work with any of the four Taken options. Any ideas?

Thank you again-
Rick Read

Postby Stefan » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:56 pm

You mean the column "Taken (Original)" is empty for you?

I have an folder with some pictures and for a few i get an timestamp in the "Taken (Original)" column.
For other pictures i get nothing there.

For a few of them whit an timestamp,
after i had selected this files in the NAME column,

"Auto Date(8)" Mode:[Prefix] + Type:[Taken (Digitized)] works (means: added the date into the NewName column as prefix to the old filename)

and for others
"Auto Date(8)" Mode:[Prefix] + Type:[Taken (Modified)] works

but the other "Type: Taken"-options do nothing for them.

(BTW for others: if the preset formats in the Fmt:[YYMMDD] field don't please you,... use the Custom:[%Y.%M_] field and read the help)

Totally different results with an second and an third folder.

So i think it depends of the EXIF data and how they are stored into the file.

Better you ask in an picture/photographer forum how this all should work
(whit some info about the used camera and an example pic to download)
and tell us afterwards what was the issue and how to get it to work.

Stefan

Postby Will47L » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:30 pm

I have been using Bulk Rename to add the date taken in YMD HMS format to JPG picture files since 2007 with what ever version on Bulk Rename was available at the time and Windows XT (32 bit). I have recently moved onto an new Machine with Windows 7 SP1 (64 bit) and have downloaded Bulk Rename V2.7.1.2 64 bit version

I now find that on my new system, Bulk Rename the date taken column is empty on all my picture files, both the new ones I have just uploaded, and all the old ones moved on from my old system on which I have preciously used Bulk Rename to add the date taken into the file name. Bringing up the properties panel for individual JPG files shows that the Date Taken information is there on the file.

Looks like a problem with the current version of 64 bit Bulk Rename to me. Is there any way to get back to a previous version that does work? Unfortunately going back to my old and system software isn't possible.

Will
Will47L

Postby Stefan » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:24 pm

Thanks Will for your input! 64-bit may be the culprit.
(It's always an good idea to mention the used OS excactely and also the app version as you did)

Some ideas:

If you have UAC enabled on Vista/Win7, right click the BRU.exe and chose "Run As Administrator", maybe that is needed to extract the Taken date?

You may download the 32-bit BRU version and install them even on 64-bit windows and see if that 32-bit version works better for this issue.
Also, BRU is totally portable (without the "BRU here" context menu DLL) so you may want to download and just unpack the portable archive for an test?

Please test and report back.

Stefan

Postby areyouwhy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:19 pm

i have the same problem. win7 x64. tried 32-bit release, still nothing.

however, "run as administrator" seems to have worked (with both releases).

thanks stefan! stupid UAC...
areyouwhy

Postby kenc3dan » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:21 pm

I too have this problem under Windows 7 64-bit but Run as Administrator does not resolve it.
I continue to see empty space in the column labeled Taken (Original).
I've made sure the original EXE itself is set to Run as Administrator and am not going through any shortcut to run it.
kenc3dan

Postby kenc3dan » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:25 pm

I can confirm that this is also the case when I install the 32-bit version of BRU, and that the "Date taken" appears correctly when I look at the image's Properties/Details. Similarly, running as Administrator doesn't resolve the problem.
kenc3dan

Postby kenc3dan » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:27 pm

Also tried XP compatibility mode, no luck.
kenc3dan

Postby kenc3dan » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:28 pm

Should have read more carefully, problem solved.

Help > Additional Feature > Options Menu > Extract Exif Data
kenc3dan

Postby Stefan » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:15 pm

Thanks for posting not only problems but the working solution also. This will help others a lot too! Thanks.

Stefan

Postby giancarlo » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:10 pm

Bulk Rename Utility really is a great tool. I appreaciate all the features and its speed.

But I struggle with the same issue. The date "Taken" remains empty. (Windows 7, SP1, 64bit)
I tried both ideas from you Stefan. Neither the "run as administrator" nor the "32 bit version" did work, unfortunately. Still the same. When selecting the Taken (any of the four options), nothing is entered in the new file name.
(Btw: Is there a possibility to display a columng "Taken"?)

Thanks for any help!
giancarlo

Postby Admin » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:14 am

Extracting EXIF data from JPG pictures is slow, so this is now disabled by default. To enable it, just tick the "Extract EXIF data" menu item and then refresh your screen (F5).
Admin
Site Admin

Postby giancarlo » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:24 am

Thank you Admin! Great.
(Obviously, I didn't get it before.)

I know that it is not exactly the topic of this thread, but do you also have an answer an my second question mentioned above? I would like to show an additional column with the "Date Taken" to sort the files by this date. Is there a possibility to add such a column?
giancarlo

Return to BRU Support