Tricky problem: Rename filenames by moving part of it

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Tricky problem: Rename filenames by moving part of it

Postby gilkain » Thu May 11, 2006 2:15 pm

I am in front of a tricky problem and I thought Bulkrename would be able to help me. I downloaded it but could not find how it could help me.

I have a server full of files in English and French. All the files are stored under one main directory, which is divided into several subdirectories, etc.

I thus have thousands of files in total.

Because we are several people to use the system and although we had established a procedure to name the files, not all our files have been named the same way.

Today, I would like to rename all the files to clearly reflect in what language they have been written.

Right now, all our filenames contain ENG if they are in English and FRE if they are in French. The problem is that those strings are not always located at the same place in the filename.

We thus find filenames like:

AL_12(YVRUJH)R(2005)0003-REV1-ENG.doc
AL_12(YVRUJH)R(2005)0003-REV1,ENG.doc
AL_12(YVRUJH)R(2005),ENG,0003-REV1.doc
AL_12(YVRUJH)R(2005)0003-ENG-REV1.doc

Same with the French files.

What I would like to do is add a prefix to all those files to be able to sort, retrieve, copy... them more easily.

Something like:

ENG_AL_12(YVRUJH)R(2005)0003-REV1-ENG.doc
FRE_AL_12(YVRUJH)R(2005)0003-REV1-FRE.doc

It does not really matter if the original ENG string remains in the filename. As long as it starts with either ENG_ or FRE_.

I thus need to find a way to add ENG_ to the beginning of all my english files and FRE_ to the french ones.

Is there a way I can use Bulkrename to do that ?

Thank you !
gilkain

Postby Admin » Thu May 11, 2006 2:46 pm

Hi,

Your best bet is to just do this in two passes.

First, use the Selection box(bottom left) and enter *ENG*. This will select just the English files. Use the "REPLACE" box to replace "ENG" with an empty string, and add a prefix of "ENG_".

Then do the same with the FRA files.

Alternatively you could use a Regular Expression, but the above is probably the simplest. Don't forget to tickthe "Subfolders" box so that you get everything in the sub folders.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby gilkain » Thu May 11, 2006 2:54 pm

You're the best ! It is working !!! Thank you !!!
gilkain

Postby Admin » Thu May 11, 2006 2:55 pm

Cool, nice one :-)
Admin
Site Admin

Return to BRU Support