Path Length Min/Max help

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Path Length Min/Max help

Postby Kyshradi » Thu May 25, 2006 7:47 pm

First, let me just say that this utility is an absolute *godsend*. Thank you so much.

Most of the controls are pretty self explanatory, but the Path Length ones have me really confused. Intuitively, they sound like they'd only list the files in a minimum of # folders, but I can't seem to get it to work that way. Actually, I can't figure out how they're supposed to work.

Here's what I'm trying to do.

This is the folder setup:
<pre>furnitur/
d/
items/
a/
z/
k/
items/
a/
z/
l/
items/
a/
z/</pre>
d, k, and l have files I don't want to list for renaming. All of the alphabetically titled subfolders in the items/ folders I do want BRU to list, and I'd prefer them listed all at the same time. The filenames use three-character prefixes that act as area codes, and I'm trying to change them to four-character prefixes because I'm running out.

I tried entering 3 and 4 on the Path Length Minimum, but it still lists everything in the d, k, and l folders, too.

Help?
Kyshradi

Postby Admin » Tue May 30, 2006 7:47 am

Hi,

What it's doing is applying the numbers to the PATH length, not the FOLDER length. So it will be looking at the length of C:\Furnitur\d\items etc.

It was added as a specific requirement for somebody.

Perhaps you could enter a minimum pathname length of 19 (e.g. the length of "C:\Furnitur\d\items") and this would cut down your list. Of perhaps you could use BRU to move all the unwanted files somewhere else, rename your wanted files, then move the "parked" files back again?

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Return to BRU Support