Renaming files from multiple folders

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Renaming files from multiple folders

Postby Creon » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:16 pm

I have a series of folders and I wish to rename the files in them so that they form a numerical sequence, starting with the first file in the first folder and ending with the last file in the last folder. At the moment I only know how to do this by using BRU on each folder in turn, noting the number of the last file in a folder, then incrementing it manually by one for the first file in the next folder, applying BRU again, and so on. Is there any way of doing this in one operation rather than having to deal with each folder separately?
Creon

Re: Renaming files from multiple folders

Postby Admin » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:02 am

Selections (12)
deselect "folders"
select "subfolders"
this will show all files (only files) in all subfolders.

Then sort the file list by the column "sub dir" to have the files grouped by sub dir.

Rename using numbering (10)

Scroll the list before clicking on "rename" to make sure numbering is as you like!
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Creon » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:49 pm

Many thanks for the method which worked a treat - files in 45 sub-folders (each containing 1 or 2 files) successfully sequentially renumbered. Not forgetting that for once I didn't accidentally end up with at least one pair of duplicate file numbers that I then had to sort out.

Might I add that I have been using BRU for a fair number of years and have always known that it was versatile. Now I know that it is extremely versatile!
Creon

Postby benjohnstone » Wed May 18, 2016 2:04 pm

I'm trying to do almost the exact opposite.

In Lightroom, I was trying to rename a batch of photos across multiple folders which I'd organised by date. For each folder, I wanted to filename to be 'date + " " + time + " " + sequence.JPG'

I stupidly selected photos in all folders and now the sequence number runs into the thousands, when I wanted the sequence number to restart for each date. Is there any way I can re-sequence these by date?

All the best
Ben
benjohnstone

Postby Emerkamp » Thu May 19, 2016 4:27 pm

Do the same as above,
Only this time under section "Numbering (10)" Tick or un-tick the "Folder" box. This controls the folder break.
I forget what way brakes for folders, but you should see witch way is right in the new colum
Emerkamp

Postby thestag » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:21 am

Thank you Very Much Admin!
thestag

Return to BRU Support