Duplicate file names

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Duplicate file names

Postby amacfarlane » Tue May 17, 2005 7:06 pm

Hello,

I've been searching around for batch renaming utility and this one looks like it will work for me. I'm a sound designer and I'm using it to rename SFX libraries.

I have one problem. I'm truncating these file names to be able to work with them in an audio app called Pro Tools. My problem is that after I apply my criteria a lot of the files have duplicate names. Is there a way to use the numbering feature so that it will only number duplicate file names? Maybe there's another way to do this?

Alex MacFarlane
amacfarlane

Postby Guest » Tue May 17, 2005 10:26 pm

Hi Alex,

Yes and no. You can do this, but probably nto the way you want it to work. You can tell it to only "break" on a change of character after the Nth position. So if you are renaming and you end up with duplicates after the 8th character you can tell it to append the autonumber at this place. However, it will only work if know that the duplictes occur after character 8 etc.

For example, assume the following filenames:

AAA1.txt
AAA2.txt
AAA3.txt

if you were yo tell BRU to remove digits you would end up with duplicates, but you could tell it to "break" after position 4, and this would work.

Give it a whirl and let me know how you get on.

Jim

Well Done

Postby clock345 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:49 am

:(! nice :))
clock345

Postby Admin » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:29 pm

Hi,

For anyone still interested in this thread, I have now implemented this feature in the latest beta. If a duplicate filename is encountered, the software will apend a suffix of _1 and try again, then _2, _3 etc.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Stefan » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:49 pm

Admin wrote:Hi,

For anyone still interested in this thread, I have now implemented this feature in the latest beta. If a duplicate filename is encountered, the software will apend a suffix of _1 and try again, then _2, _3 etc.

Jim

What a great addition :D

Thank you.
Stefan

Well done, Jim!

Postby KHL » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:25 am

Haven't had time to check this new feature, yet, but it sounds good.

Thx a lot, Jim.
KHL

Avoiding duplicates / Attaching thumbnails to messageboard

Postby KHL » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:49 am

To Jim,

unfortunately your feature to append a suffix of _1, _2, _3 etc. to avoid duplicate filenames doesn't work at my machine
(Win 2000 SP4, BRU 2.2.8.3 Beta).
I tried to add the increment 1 to the suffixes of a list of 5 files:
7210011884, MVP 1.jpg,
7210011884, MVP 2.jpg,
the list ended with 7210011884, MVP 5.jpg

I wanted to rename them to
7210011884, MVP 2.jpg,
7210011884, MVP 3.jpg,
ending with 7210011884, MVP 6.jpg
I've checked block 5 to remove the last digit and block 9 to start the suffix with 2 instead of 1.
I've posted a screenshot of the checked boxes and the error message at
http://img228.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ssage8.jpg

To Stefan,

I hope you can help me with the problem I had while trying to attach the error message.
Though I've followed your explanation posted on Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:05 pm to attach thumbnails to the messageboard, my screenshot doesn't appear in my message.

Here's my original code for checking purposes:
[img]http://img228.imageshack.us/my.php?image=duplicatefilenameerrormessage8.jpg[/img]

What was wrong?
Thanks in advance to all of you.

Karl
KHL

Re: Avoiding duplicates / Attaching thumbnails to messageboa

Postby Stefan » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:12 am

KHL wrote:...
To Stefan,

I hope you can help me with the problem I had while trying to attach the error message.
Though I've followed your explanation posted on Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:05 pm to attach thumbnails to the messageboard, my screenshot doesn't appear in my message.

Here's my original code for checking purposes:

What was wrong?
Thanks in advance to all of you.

Karl

I don't know :D .. lets see:

An test:

Direct link to image:
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/6594 ... tor8sc.jpg

Show image to friends:
http://img214.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... tor8sc.jpg

O.K. Karl, here we see
you have to use the last possibility, "Direct link to image"
because this is a "normal" link, not an PHP redirection.

You can also use pre-formated Hotlink for forums (1) item:
(-link disabled for traffic issues-)
[UR L=http://imageshack.us][im g]http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/6594/iconcolletor8sc.jpg[/img][/URL]

So i think that the PHP-link is the problem.
Just use an item without "/my.php?image="

best regards
Last edited by Stefan on Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Stefan

Postby Admin » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:23 am

I'm afraid I can't recreate the problem, it works well for me. The code is very simple, but is entirely dependent upon Windows returning the correct error message (ERROR_ALREADY_EXISTS).

I assume you have actually ticked the menu option?....

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby KHL » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:27 am

To Stefan,

thx for your quick response.
I guess this helps a lot if anyone else has problems attaching screenshots to specify his problems.

To Jim,

thx for your reply as well.
I was surprised that I had to tick a menu option...
Have found it in the meanwhile. Sorry.

Wouldn't it be helpful to activate this option as standard?
Or, if Tarma Installer does not support changing menu options of already installed previous versions, may you incorporate a message box after clicking "Rename" that notifies the user about this menu option? Such as <You may produce duplicates. To avoid problems during the rename process please set "Options/Prevent Duplicates" active>?

And another question:
May you stick a note at each messageboard, so that everybody can find help attaching screenshots? I assume this would help you massively when people ask tricky questions.

I'd propose the following:
Topic:
Adding screenshots to the messageboard
Description:
Upload your file(s) to http://www.imageshack.us/
Add [img]link from option "Direct link to image"[/img]
Request:
Please use this feature for posting problems only, NOT for spamming the board with ads.

Thx again.

Karl
KHL

Postby Admin » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:36 am

No, I don't want to make the "avoid duplicates" a default option. I for one will never use it, as I would want to know if my chosen filenames were clashing, and I know that others are the same. The option is there, and I will make sure that it is well-referenced in the help file.

With regards to the image files, I'm not sure if I want to go down this route or not. Large images can make posts very difficult to read, and it's very rarely that a screenshot is required to solve an issue. Let me think on it.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby KHL » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:42 pm

No problem for me as I now know the "Prevent Duplicates" option.

Sorry for not reading the helpfile.

May I propose another suggestion?

In case of "Prevent Duplicates" has been set active:
Splash-screen with note that lists all the duplicates that would be renamed automatically? This avoids renaming w/o recognition by the user.

In case of "Prevent Duplicates" is inactive:
Splash-screen with note that mentions all the files that may result in duplicates? The user then could avoid it by setting a.m. option active.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Karl
KHL

Postby Admin » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:51 pm

Hi,

Showing a slash-screen AFTER the event is easy (e.g. these were the duplicates), but showing it before the event is impractical. There's too many factors involved which could cause the duplicates to occur.

For each file you would have to go through a "virtual" renaming exercise, remembering what the filename had become,a nd checking it against the existing files in the folder. Add to this the fact the sub-folders can be processed, and folder names can change, and stuff cna be moved to a new location......

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby KHL » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:30 pm

No problem.

YOU are the boss!!
KHL

Postby Admin » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:40 pm

No, everyone's the boss. This isn't my product, BRU belongs to everyone who uses it and supports it, and who contributes to these forums.

All suggestions, comments and feedback, good or bad, is always welcome.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Return to BRU Support