Files not showing...

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Files not showing...

Postby silas » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:08 pm

Hi. I have the same problem as an earlier poster; only my Desktop shows in the Files window. I'm using Vista Home Premium and ver. 2,5,4,3 of BRU. In my case (MY)Computer is on the desktop.

I'd appreciate any assistance.

silas
silas

Postby Admin » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:33 pm

Hi,

Do you have UAC enabled or disabled? If Vista's UAC (User Access Control) is enabled then Vista does some fancy tricks to hide a lot of files, and it will only show the files to certain programs and functions.

I run with UAC disabled as I find it to be a total pain.

You enable/disable UAC within COntrol Panel, User Accounts.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby silas » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:06 pm

Hi Jim,

This is too weird. I disabled the UAC, now some of my folders open but many others won't (needless to say one of the ones that won't is the one I really need).

I'm open to any other suggestions.

silas
silas

Postby Admin » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:31 pm

What's the folder that won't open? Are you perhaps accessing it via C:\Documents and Settings instead of C:\Users etc ?

Have you enabled "Hidden files" view, if it's hidden? Does it open if you jump to it directly (Ctrl+J)? Can you calrify "Won't open" - symptoms, messages etc.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby silas » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:59 am

The folders, the ones which open and the ones which won't, are all in a directory under my user name. None of them are hidden.

In the left directory tree side in BRU all my folders are displayed. When I click on some of them, the files and subfolders they contain appear in the larger right-side window. When I click on the difficult few nothing at all appears in the right-side window.

In Windows Explorer everything works fine, but in BRU those obstinate folders remain inaccessible.

silas
silas

Postby Admin » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:28 am

Do they show up if you navigate via C:\Users\<Username> instead of choosing <username> from under the Desktop folder? I get different results between the two methods, and I know that this is expected with Vista.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby silas » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:09 pm

Jim,

Accessing the folder via C:\Users\<Username> did the trick. Mission accomplished.

Thank you for the software and your assistance.

silas
silas

Return to BRU Support