Page 1 of 1

Timestamp changes not working

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:12 am
I have hundreds of image files (jpg) from my mobile which aren't listed properly in the gallery by date - I suspected the issue was the phone sorting not by creation date, but modified date or similar. Your program was recommended to fix this, so I downloaded it and accessed my phone's SD card to modify these. Using Special (14) I highlighted every file needing the adjustment and set the Date Created field to Taken (original). The files showed the soon-to-be changes accurately in green text so I hit rename. The eventual pop up window informed me that all the files had processed, that no files had been renamed etc.
The issue arose that once I exited that folder on the SD card to access another one, and then returned to view the first folder - the 'created' timestamp has not changed properly on any of the files. They have not reverted to the original date listed there, however - they are only a few days/hours out from the desired 'taken (original)' timestamp, but nonetheless the files have not changed correctly and seem to have chosen random dates/times relatively close to what they should be, but not accurate. Therefore, upon putting my SD card back into my phone, I now have the original problem of multiple files listed under incorrect dates, but also now duplicates of some files on different dates as well.
Can you recommend any fixes to this? As this program has actually made things worse without improving the original issue at all.

Re: Timestamp changes not working

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:08 pm
by Emerkamp

BRU or bulk rename ult is best for renaming files. I would suggest Geo Setter for picture info,
They have an up to date beta also. It uses exiftool to read and write dates. Exif, IPTC, XMP

For BRU and dates, look under:
Options>> Timestamp
Help>> Content>> Additional Support>> Custom Date Formats..... This will list your place holders

Re: Timestamp changes not working

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:09 pm
by TonyGamble
I could start a new post but the topic is still the same.


Why is it when I try to put the EXIF info about when the image was taken it puts January 1970 in the Created column?

Here you see me putting a tick in what I think is the right place.

I read the bottom few lines about 'help' but I am sorry to say I did not understand them.

Does BRU still have this bug about losing the date/time taken - and should we still be relying on EXIFTool to get the info back so we can sort our shots in chronological order?


Re: Timestamp changes not working

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:24 pm
by trm2
I am not sure what your original dates are but it is and has been a known issue:

From Volume II (still a work in progress) I have addressed this issue -

1. BRU does not support setting timestamps older than ‘January 1, 1971’. It has been this way since the beginning when
Jim Willsher created the program, but as of this date, Feb 4, 2020, the limitation still exists. This affects ‘Section #14:
Change (Timetamps)’ and ‘Section #8: Auto Date’.

2. The column data displayed in the Content pane will not display a date older than ‘December 31, 1969’ for any file with
a ‘Creation’, ‘Modified’ or ‘Accessed’ date prior. This affects not only the column data but again, ‘Section #8: Auto

I have a work-around that is not perfect, but since you have access to a tool that can do it for you then I won't bother posting it.

As for the EXIF Taken (original), you have to 'turn it on' via 'Extract EXIF Data (Photos) through the Renaming Options Menu. Then refresh the
Content if necessary (through F5). If that is your problem - please refer to the Volume I book - at viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4743

It can answer so many questions about using the program. Volume II as I said is a work in progress.

Re: Timestamp changes not working

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:56 pm
by TonyGamble
Thanks for the reply.

The file I was working on was created a few minutes earlier. Say 09.14 this morning.

I did turn on that Extract EXIF Data Photos. In fact I have it permanently ticked.

I looked at the pdf you sent but could not find where you were talking about the problem.

I'll stick with my fix using EXIFToolGui as it seems to work.

At least it is agreed there is still a problem. For photographers I would have thought the ability to sort by Time Taken would be one of the most useful of all.

BRU is brilliant in what else it does - but my ability to match the files from more than one camera (in time terms) and rename them is something I value. Normally I copy the cards direct to the PC so the date remains in one of the other columns. I have only hit the problem when I port the card via an Android tablet and ultimately into the PC. Then the timings in those other columns get confused - and hence the need to pull them out of the EXIF where they remain correct.

Thanks again.


Re: Timestamp changes not working

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:00 pm
by trm2
The problem of prior to January 1971 is addressed in Volume II not Volume I - Volume II is not released. But I did say that since you already have
a tool that works for you to change the date - use that - then rename in BRU as usual.

Not understanding about it displaying this behavior on recently dated files though.