Renaming - Add 'Taken (Original)' not wokring

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Renaming - Add 'Taken (Original)' not wokring

Postby rozey66 » Sun May 07, 2017 8:38 pm

So I am wokring through a lot of old image archives and adding the "Taken (Original)" date as a prefix to the file names. My issue is that I have a lot of images that HAVE this data in teh exif, and BRU is showing it to me in the file view --> But the date is not being applied to the new filename. Same as any file that doesn't have this data inthe exif.

What am I missing?
rozey66

Re: Renaming - Add 'Taken (Original)' not wokring

Postby rozey66 » Sun May 14, 2017 7:51 pm

After digging around some more, question - is it possible to have a Date Taken in the file timestamps, but NOT in the exif? Would that cause data to appear in this field but not apply it to a new filename?
rozey66

Postby Admin » Mon May 15, 2017 4:06 am

Are you renaming based on file timestamps (Windows attributes) or EXIF timestamps (stored as part of the file content for some image files)? thanks
Admin
Site Admin

Postby rozey66 » Mon May 15, 2017 4:34 am

Admin wrote:Are you renaming based on file timestamps (Windows attributes) or EXIF timestamps (stored as part of the file content for some image files)? thanks

I think this is where I am confusing myself. When using BRU, i have files that show a 'Taken (Original)' date and time, but when I try to apply the exif Taken Original date to the filename, it doesn't show anything. Same as files that don't have any Taken date. I think the windows attribute might have a taken date but the xif does not. I didn't realize that could happen.
rozey66

Postby Admin » Tue May 16, 2017 1:34 am

While files always have a timestamp in Windows NTFS (actually 3, modified timestamp, created timestamp and accessed timestamp), the EXIF timestamp is separated and it's added usually by cameras to JPG files. The EXIF timestamp is stored in the file contents itself, so it is usually not lost even when moving files between UNIX, Windows, Android, MAC etc.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby rozey66 » Tue May 16, 2017 8:10 pm

Admin wrote:While files always have a timestamp in Windows NTFS (actually 3, modified timestamp, created timestamp and accessed timestamp), the EXIF timestamp is separated and it's added usually by cameras to JPG files. The EXIF timestamp is stored in the file contents itself, so it is usually not lost even when moving files between UNIX, Windows, Android, MAC etc.

OK, then that does NOT explain what I am seeing in BRU - I have files that show a date and time under the 'Taken (Original)' column -- but when I try to apply that exif data to a file name it does not pull over and is blank. What would cause that?
rozey66

Postby BrisBorto » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:08 am

I have found the same problem. I have created a folder with photos from three different cameras/phones and want to rename the photos based on the EXIF Date/Time taken so scrolling through the photos will have them in correct chronological order.

I have selected ONLY the Name [2] and Auto Date [8] options. Here are the settings I have selected.

Name [2]: Checked
----------------------------------
Name: Remove

Auto Date [8]: Checked
----------------------------------
Mode: Suffix
Type: Taken (Original)
Fmt: Custom
Sep.: [Blank]
Seg.: [Blank]
Custom: %Y%m%d_%l%M%S%p
Cent.: [Unchecked]
Off.: 0

What I expect would be filenames such as 20170708_034510AM.JPG. Unfortunately all I get is ".jpg" for all new filenames. The Auto Date is completely ignored.

If anyone could point out what I am doing wrong, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

BrisBorto
BrisBorto

Postby Emerkamp » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:00 pm

Hi,

I just tried your settings and this works up to this point:

Mode: Suffix
Type: Taken (Original)
Fmt: Custom
Sep.: [Blank]
Seg.: [Blank]
Custom: %Y%m%d_

So it seems your problem falls into this part of your date format string. Help section list placeholders you can use.
%l%M%S%p
Emerkamp

Postby trm2 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:58 pm

The poster is using %L and not %I (as I spy)
trm2

Postby TonyGamble » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:06 pm

I have tried the Extract Exif and Extract Windows File Properties.

I have used Fn5 and still my column is a blank.

The system used to work.

I'll post a screenshot if it helps.

Tony
London UK
TonyGamble

Postby trm2 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:45 pm

Get the book Volume I from

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4743

Exif Take (Original)

Pg 78 - Using the Exif Property taken (Original)
pg 149 taken (Original)
pg 176 Extract Exif data

Windows Properties
pg 53 Windows Properties data
pg 176 Extract Windows File Properties

If you still need help post back.

Ps - if the page numbers are wrong - and if they are - they would only be off by a few pages - it would be because I am working from a more updated copy.
trm2

Return to BRU Support