BRU Crashes when Scanning Folder

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

BRU Crashes when Scanning Folder

Postby byakuyazakura » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:34 am

I have been using the utility for over a year now and I recently did a fresh install of Windows 10. Now whenever I try to use the BRU it will freeze as soon as it comes across a folder with any jpegs in them while saying "Scanning folder..." at the bottom. It will work with other file types or with folders that have other folders in them but just not jpeg. It does not matter which folder it is so long as it has jpegs in them. It does not matter if I uninstall and reinstall. I tried it with both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
byakuyazakura

Re: BRU Crashes when Scanning Folder

Postby billlagr » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:18 pm

I am having the same trouble. Using BRU 3.0.0.1, however whenever I attempt to scan a folder that contains video files (avi, .MP4, or .mpg) , BRU just stops and eventually I get the "Not Responding" message.
Using Win 10, and have tried the installer version and non installer versions, 64 bit and 32 bit.
I couldn't replicate the problem with .JPG files though, I tried a few folders containing .jpg's and had no issues.
billlagr

Postby Admin » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:20 am

Hello, can you create one folder with only one jpg in it and see if the issue still happens for this folder?
If positive, could you please send that jpg to us via e-mail? Once we can reproduce the issue we wil lfix it, thank you very much
Admin
Site Admin

Postby dickyknee » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:41 am

Hi. I have the same thing happening.
New computer purchase-> brand new install of Windows 10-> new install of BRU 3.0.0.1. The app opens fine and can navigate folders without issue, but as soon as it opens a folder with jpg files it shows a message "Scanning" and stops responding to anything else. I closed the app and restarted it several times, but same issue.
I then left it in this frozen state for 5 minutes and it eventually recognised the files in the folder and started to respond again and renamed files OK. Went to the next folder and it found the files instantly. Closed the app and reopened it again, no problem occurring. Seemed to be some form of initial setting or indexing or something that takes a while when first used???
dickyknee

Postby mcqueena » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:34 am

Found this forum and I'm posting to say, I have the same problem. Worked fine for the last week or so on Windows 10. Then today, I get not responding with folders with jpgs. I let it wait for 10min or so like dickyknee said, and it eventually worked. Maybe a recent Windows update?
mcqueena

Postby mcqueena » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:47 am

Well now I think this is not a BRU issue, but a windows problem. I'm having a similar issue with WinSCP.
mcqueena

Postby gackt » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:18 pm

Hi,

Made an account just to confirm I'm still having freezing. I've tried using 3.0.0.1 and 2.7.1.2.

It may not be BRU itself, but it might be a conflict of other software running simultaneously? But I can't seem to nail down which ones.. I tried shutting off Malwarebytes, but it didn't help.

After waiting a few minutes BRU unfreezes however.

Windows 7 SP1
gackt

Postby Hackmett » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:08 pm

Hi,
I just ran into the same problem and found this post. I was very suprised since I used BRU to rename fotos with their taken date only last week.
On a hunge I suspected the stupid windows indexing to block the folders. I deactivated the indexing with the description on this website:

https://winaero.com/blog/disable-search-indexing-windows-10/

And instantly I could work with BRU like last week. Give it a try

Regards
Hackmett

Postby jhorlyck » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:39 pm

I have used BRU for many years without problems. Last time I used i succesfully was 2 weeks ago.
But like many others, I have run into the same problem. (Using W10, 1803)
BRU becomes unresponsive for "a while", when I try to select a folder.
"a while" can be anything from 10 to 35 minuttes (I have an I7 processor on a quite new PC).
I used BRU 2.7.1.3 - and have updated to latest 3.0 version today.
I have tried several things. Including stopping W10 indexing.
Nothing seems to help.
I have the fopllowing cluers:
Opening a folder with .pdf or any MS Office files happens instantly.
First opening a folder with at least one .jpg, .mp3 or .zip file takes "a while" (there might be other file types, which I have not tested)
After opening a folder with any of these files - and after "a while" - I can open any folder with the same type file file instantly
But if there is a new type of file - opening again takes " a while" - and then I can open any folder with the same type file instantly.

It is not specific files which blocks BRU. I have tried on several folders.
jhorlyck

Postby Admin » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:28 am

Hi jhorlyck, thanks for the report. Can you help us out please and keep trying to list the same folders in BRU for a while?
What we saw in our tests is that the problem seems to be fixing itself after a while.
also please try to navigate to those same folders in Windows Explorer, do you see a green bar on the top loading while you navigate to these folders?
thanks
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Cucchi.Monster » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:26 am

ANSWER (I THINK) in Hackmett » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:08 am post

Indexing article - however I didn't switch it off I just ran the troubleshooting and in corrected permission on windows 10

It runs with only a couple second delay
Cucchi.Monster

Postby Thanks » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:32 am

Hackmett wrote:Hi,
I just ran into the same problem and found this post. I was very suprised since I used BRU to rename fotos with their taken date only last week.
On a hunge I suspected the stupid windows indexing to block the folders. I deactivated the indexing with the description on this website:

https://winaero.com/blog/disable-search-indexing-windows-10/

And instantly I could work with BRU like last week. Give it a try

Regards

Thanks so much! It worked for me too
Thanks

Postby Jezza819 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:30 am

I've been getting the "Not Responding" thing for the last few weeks also and I just tried windows indexing fix but it didn't work either. Any ideas?

**EDIT** Turing off "show icons" in the display options fixed my problem. Don't know how it got changed in the first place but at least now it's fixed.
Jezza819

Postby rustycans » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:50 am

Same problem. Happened for the first time today after years of trouble free use.

Windows 10 pro, BRU installer 64 bit version 3.0.0.1

Can also confirm turning off icon display in the list is a viable workaround.
rustycans

Postby bulkrenamer » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:03 pm

This looks like a windows EXIF fault.
If a folder has any JPEG images containing certain EXIF information, then the hang happens.
This also can happen with Windows Explorer, the Windows 'Photos' tool, The windows 'Photo Gallery' tool and probably many others.

I have my own app which reads EXIF information. It has hangs, and runs out of memory, when trying to read all the EXIF codes. This did not happen before a recent Windows10 update. I have a previous copy of the program which only reads certain codes. This works fine.
It appears that Windows, after a reset, works once for one application, but then fails until the next reset for any other applications, including bulk rename. For the bulk rename to work correctly, it possibly needs to read the EXIF codes itself, rather than relying on a windows call, and then only read some codes?
bulkrenamer

Next

Return to BRU Support