Renaming folders from different directories?

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Renaming folders from different directories?

Postby Buckarooo » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:23 am

Hi,
Basically what I want to do is to search folders that have similar names using a software (Everything) then rename those folders all at once with BRU. Issue is - when I drag those folders from the search result to BRU, the program only shows the content of the folders so I can't edit the name of the actual folders. I could look for the respective parent folders and drag them one by one to rename them but that takes too much time (this is a thing I routinely have to do). Or I could move all the folders I want to rename to a new folder and drag the new folder to BRU to do the renaming but that changes their directories, which I'd actually like them to keep.
I've kinda searched around in the forum (not knowing exactly what to put in as the search query) to no avail - if it's already been questioned and answered and I missed it, I'm sorry - and it's perfectly understandable if the program doesn't support such need in the first place - but it'd really save a lot of my time and effort if it did and someone would teach me how (as of now I'm renaming multiple dozen folders one by one).
Buckarooo

Re: Renaming folders from different directories?

Postby Emerkamp » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:15 am

Hi,

You might try setting
Section (12):

Folders= Tick
Subfolders= Tick
Files= Un-Tick
Emerkamp

Postby Buckarooo » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:44 pm

Doesn't seem to work. It only shows the subfolders when I do that.
Buckarooo

Postby Emerkamp » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:20 am

Maybe I missread

I though you were having trouble with it showing files instead of only sub-folders. If you want parent folders also, you'll have to drag them in also.

What I do is start at the Root, then filter or sort as needed.. Using Regex is very pwerfull for this.
Emerkamp

Postby therube » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:42 pm

If.

If BRU could...

treat dragged names as Folders (option to currently treated only as files)

import from clipboard (simple to copy folder names to clipboard in Everything)

import from text file (export from Everything to text, clean up that output removing the final \.*$, so %s/\\{search_term}$//, that removes search_term, leaving the names of the parent directories, then when you use 12:Filter->Folders, that will find all your wanted folders, {search_term})

Alas ...

(Do note that depending on your renaming needs, Everything can do that too, multi-file/dir, including regex.
Also note that nothing more then an OK - or inadvertent Return in Everything [rename] effects a name change.
IOW be aware & be careful.)

if Everything could return the parent of a search term
therube

Return to BRU Support