BRU crashes, every file, every time

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

BRU crashes, every file, every time

Postby cecilrhode » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:35 pm

Hi
I've used BRU for a few years, and found it excellent. Last year, I ran into problems with it crashing. It seemed to be certain files, but witha large folder it was difficult to identify which one(s) were the problem. Small folders were ok to weed out the offender (but BRU is not so neccesary for small folders)

For 6 months or so, I've used other utilties because BRU wouldn't run. I've just formatted my drive and rebuilt the PC (Win 7) but didn't install the other rename utility.

I have a lot of photos to rename and BRU won't run. It isn't possible to identify any particular JPG because there are too many. I usually start with a right click but it doesn't matter which file I click on. A big problem is that when it crashes, it will crash on EVERY file I try, even those that it has worked on in the past. Hence, I don't know if it is a particular file or if its something more general. When that happens Ihave to reboot the computer and hope that it will work. Most of the time it doesn't though.

I do think it is photo related (all jpgs) because if I start it and navigate via the menu, it will *usually* allow me to load the files from eg music folders and as it doesn't crash at that point I could probably rewname them, but as soon as I point to a photo folder, it crashes as it loads the file name.

I've looked at some of the things others have tried and nothing helps.

It doesn't matter if I start by a right click, or navigate to the folder via the menu, it will start to load the folder and then crash.

I'm willing to try a few things but have to make a decision that if BRU can't quickly be made to run reliably, then I'll abandon it completely - I've spent 2 hours today trying to get it working and failed, (it would have been faster to rename the folder manually). I have a few favourites stored so would rather not have to create them in another package and have to learn how that software works. I also like BRI and it has renamed many many thousands of files in the past.

I have disabled icon listing to no effect, and also tried running in administrator lode but that just gave an error.

Anyone have any ideas?
cecilrhode

Re: BRU crashes, every file, every time

Postby Emerkamp » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:39 pm

Hi,

You might try the older version ( v2.7.1 ) and see how you get along. I'm using it with win7 x64 and have no problems at all.
If you have a corrupt file though, that may be another problem. Corrupt Video or picture files can cause even Explorer to lock up.

Also If you have found any files causing your problem I would Zip them up and email them to the Dev.
I'm sure he'd like a sample to see what the cause is...
Emerkamp

Postby cecilrhode » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:22 pm

Thanks for your suggestions.

I did manage to find the previous version (2.7.13) somewhere on the www (why are they not on this site?)
it did actually work, BUT it did not work with my favourites, Attempting to open a favourite meat that I couldn't see any files, just folders - very strange and made BRU useless.

The work involved in recreating my favourites is not attractive. I'd probably be better off doing that for a new application and getting rid of BRU.

I reinstalled the latest version, and am back to square one. It crashes whenever I try to browse a folder.

It isn't possible to identify any particular file that may be responsible, there's too many. As I said, when BRU crashes, it then continues to crash for EVERY file and every folder. The only way I could even begin to identify any particular faulty file would be to put it in it's own folder and see if BRU worked. If it crashed, I'd have to remove that file and reboot. If BRU crashed again, I'd have to work my way through each file, rebooting the PC in between crashes of BRU. Quite honestly, that's an unrealistic amount of work to get through THIS problem. Next week, with another folder, I'd have to do the same thing again. Too many reboots, too much time and effort.

I'm looking for a solution as to why BRU is so unreliable. Theres nothing wrong with the files, they're new and open ok in other software so I don't see any reason why BRU shouldn't work with them.
cecilrhode

Postby cecilrhode » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:35 pm

In attempting to isolate files in need of renaming to test if they are responsible for BRU crashing, I've uninstalled it and tried using teh portable version. With a reboot, it still crashes. but on every folder, regardless of content - *.doc, mp3 etc, it crashed when attempting to navigate.

Any ideas or should i just bite the bullet and adopt another app?
cecilrhode

Postby therube » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:10 am

32 or 64-bit Win7?
And you have SP1 installed (& all the updates since)?

Any change if you run BRU after rebooting your computer in Safe Mode?
therube

Postby cecilrhode » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:42 pm

hello therube
I've been meaning to try safe mode but never got round to it. So, I just rebooted into safe mode, started BRU and navigated to the folder I use, and though it took a few seconds longer than usual it crashed before the files were even listed. Started again in normal mode and the same thing happened.

I'm using Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit, it's up to date with patches.
cecilrhode

Postby Admin » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:32 am

If you try both version 2.7 and 3.0, standalone, does 3.0 crash and 2.7 does not? thanks
Admin
Site Admin

Postby cecilrhode » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:37 am

Hello Admin
The previous version did not appear to crash, but as I said, did not work with my favourites - I could not see the file list, just folders. As such, it wasn't much use. There isn't any easy way to stop favourites being opened so I never got to find if the previous version would actually see the file list and work with them.

As I said, I previously used BRU for a couple of years without problems (including the previous version), then for some reason it just started crashing. In the beginning I managed to identify files that would initiate the crash, but now, it crashes on practically any folder, regardless of content.

The pc has been rebuilt a couple of times since it first started crashing, and is newly rebuilt now (with an upgrade from Win 7 Home to Win 7 Ultimate) but it hasn't renamed a single file.
cecilrhode

Postby cecilrhode » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:09 pm

Disappointing to see so few ideas about possible solutions. I suppose I'll continue to use an alternative product and reluctantly assume that BRU will never work for me. After a good few years, that's a shame.
cecilrhode

Postby Emerkamp » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:59 am

Hi,
The previous version did not appear to crash, but as I said, did not work with my favourites - I could not see the file list, just folders.

Are you sure you had ( Files ) Ticked, in the filter of Section (12).

If still not, then they must be Soft links or something.
Emerkamp

Postby adque_KUMA » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:10 am

I had the same issue and have figured out a possible solution here.

After the programme crashed multiple times on three different laptops of mine, I decided to go through all the settings, and not after long, I discovered that if I untick the 'Show Icons' option under the 'Display Options' tab menu, I'd be able to use BRU again, although not being able to see the icons is a bit annoying. Hope it works for everyone else.
adque_KUMA

Postby fisterf15d » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:10 pm

adque_KUMA wrote:I had the same issue and have figured out a possible solution here.

After the programme crashed multiple times on three different laptops of mine, I decided to go through all the settings, and not after long, I discovered that if I untick the 'Show Icons' option under the 'Display Options' tab menu, I'd be able to use BRU again, although not being able to see the icons is a bit annoying. Hope it works for everyone else.

That worked for me too! I think this is the solution.
fisterf15d

Return to BRU Support