BRU becomes unresponsive

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

BRU becomes unresponsive

Postby nonno105 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:13 am

Hi, I'm a long time user of this great utility but have a problem now.
I've gone from Win XP to Win 8.1 without any problems but now on a refurbished computer running Windows 10 BRU goes unresopnsive whenever I try to select any folder.
It does not make any difference whether the folder is in drive C or a removable stick. The only difference is that on the C drive I get a list of the files before it locks up,
but on a removable it locks up immediately on clicking the folder.
I was using ver 2.7.1.1 so upgraded to the latest version. This behaves in exactly the same way.
The old version was working fine before windows did a major 'Upgrade" a couple of weeks ago, so I guess it's a windows 10 issue but I can't imagine what.

(another weird thing is that as suggested I uninstalled the old one before installing the new one.
Windows told me that it had uninstalled the old one but it didn't. So I have both versions still installed and running but both lock up)

Any suggestions gratefully received!
nonno105

Re: BRU becomes unresponsive

Postby therube » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:01 pm

was working fine before windows did a major 'Upgrade" a couple of weeks ago, so I guess it's a windows 10 issue

I take that to be 1803.
I've run across (read of) any number of breakages that have accompanied 1803.
therube

Postby feasible » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:36 pm

I've just downloaded and installed the utility on Windows 10 and running into the same issue as described above.

In addition, I have noticed that if you wait, it will eventually respond and allow me to dig into the directory I need. Is the utility parsing and caching the directory structure?
feasible

Postby Admin » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:39 am

Hi, yes, we noticed that happening too, but what is weird is that after the first time where it takes a long time, then it seems to work normally. Are you noticing the same, that is, that the issue goes away? thanks
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Williep » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:30 pm

Hi, I had the same issue with a folder of mp3's. Those were connected to standard program groove music.

I changed this to mediaplayer and the problem was solved.
Changed it to notepad still everything works.
Changed it back to groove and the problem was back.

So it seems that, in my case, the problem hase to do with groove as standard program.
I keep it on mediaplayer.

Gr. Willie
Williep

Return to BRU Support