Prefixing With Zeroes To Combat ASCII Woes

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Prefixing With Zeroes To Combat ASCII Woes

Postby gordgoodfellow » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:09 pm

Hello,

I'm working with Bulk Rename Utility which outputs files to a secondary utility which, unfortunately, does not read filenames sequentially in the way that humans do, but rather puts them in ASCII sequence. So, whereas we would instinctively number a list as a logical numerical sequence, the secondary utility will present these files not in that order, but in ASCII sequence.

One way to combat this would be to prefix all filenames with 00. So the files would be prefixed 001, 002, 003, etc.

But how do I do this using Bulk Rename Utility?

If I try to use the Numbering (10) section, select Prefix and start at 001, rising by increments of 1, the output ignores the leading zeroes, and I end up with the ASCII sequence issue within the other utility again.

I'm sure there's a solution to this, but I haven't worked it out yet. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
gordgoodfellow

Re: Prefixing With Zeroes To Combat ASCII Woes

Postby Emerkamp » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:59 pm

hi

Did you try pad, in numbering section. Reading the program help for numbering may help you also. It's pretty detailed.

If that's no help, we would need before and after examples.
Emerkamp

Return to BRU Support