2 problems happen when manually adding multiple files to BRU

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

2 problems happen when manually adding multiple files to BRU

Postby geoff741 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:27 pm

Ok, so I love this program and one of the things I use it for is to make changes to multiple simmilar files across multiple drives.

How I do this is I navigate to "Computer" BRU and then I use the program "everything" to search for all files I want to change (example, files with double spaces) and I drag all of the files I want to change to BRU while 0 files are currently shown. When i do this, on first drag/drop only 1 file shows up. So I need to drag and drop again (sometimes more than twice) to fully populate BRU with all the files I want to change. Same thing happens from windows search.

This takes a long time, especially when adding thousands of files from half a dozen drives (understandable) so having to do it 2-3 times to get all of them in there just makes it take 2-3 times as long

Additionally every time you have to drag and drop after you have already done it it will create duplicates. This throws up errors every time you press rename (Can't find the file) cause one of the other instances was changed. At the end of the day this part is just a minor inconvenience, but it did take me a while to figure out what was causing it and why I was getting errors all the time

In case this was hard to understand I will type an example: You search PC for all files with double spaces. 100 results. You drag all of these files to everything. Only 1 file shows up "Example 1.file". You drag them again. 101 files now show up. You change double space to single space and click rename and this pops up "Item 'Path\file.extension' could not be renamed. Error Code. The system Cannot find the file specificed"

It pops up every single time. Before I realised what was causing it I kept reverting all changes back or restoring backups. Now I realise it's a false error it's not a problem but I figured I should report it. Especially if it means it might be quicker to populate the list
geoff741

Re: 2 problems happen when manually adding multiple files to BRU

Postby therube » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:07 pm

Drag & Drop has long been an issue with BRU, Loading files to BRU.

What I typically do, is do an initial drag, then clear the list in BRU, then drag the same set of files again.
(Files are already selected, so it's not much of an issue, but it sure would be nice if it worked, correctly, the first time.)
therube

Return to BRU Support