Rename files in folder tree (or nested folders)

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Rename files in folder tree (or nested folders)

Postby Stan » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:42 pm

Hi- I often have the following: Main Folder with several subfolders, each with several files. I would like to apply my naming protocol to all the files without disturbing the folder names, and keeping the files in their correct subfolders. Sometimes subfolders might be two deep.
Have read and experimented but cannot figure out how to do this, other than renaming files in each subfolder as a group, one subfolder at a time.
Any suggestions, anyone?

Thanks,
Stan
Stan

Re: Rename files in folder tree (or nested folders)

Postby Emerkamp » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:19 pm

Hello,

Have you tried only these ticked...
Sections (12)
Tick=Files
Tick=Subfolders
Emerkamp

Postby Stan » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:15 pm

Thanks, Emerkamp, for your contribution.

I have now tried more variations, still no complete luck.

My starting position is folder Test, with subfolders A, B, and C. A has files A1.jpg and A2.jpg, likewise for B and C.

If I select Subfolders and Files, not Folders, then click on Test in the file list and then Rename, the files rename in place and the folder structure is preserved. But what I really want is to be able to have the renamed files copied to a destination with the originals undisturbed. I can achieve that objective by copying the original files and folders (just copy the top-level folder Test to the destination location, the subfolders and files go along for the ride), then rename them in place there. I can work with that.

But what I would prefer, to save time, number of operations to perform, and chances for errors, is to use Block 13 "Copy/Move to Location", which the Help menu describes as "This section allows you to leave the original files intact, but create copies of the files (with the new names) in a separate folder." Exactly what I want except it doesn't mention subfolders.

If in Block 13 I put "d:\renamed" and click "Copy not Move", use Files and Subfolders in Block 12, and click on Test in the File List, then Rename, it leaves the original files alone, creates "d:\renamed" with all the renamed files, but no subfolders.
If I repeat that except to add "Folders", it leaves the orignals alone, creates "d:\renamed" with subfolders A, B, and C, but no files, and with an error message "d:\renamed\A\A1.JPG" could not be renamed. Error Code: The system cannot find the file specified." A1.jpg is still intact in its original folder.

So that's where I'm now stuck.

Win 10 x64 v1803 build 17134.407, BRU v3.0.0.1.

Stan
Stan

Postby Emerkamp » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:19 am

Hello,
But what I would prefer, to save time, number of operations to perform, and chances for errors, is to use Block 13 "Copy/Move to Location", which the Help menu describes as "This section allows you to leave the original files intact, but create copies of the files (with the new names) in a separate folder." Exactly what I want except it doesn't mention subfolders.

Can you try and older version. v2.7.1 I think stills works correct here. I still use it partial for this reason
I think you might have to show folders, then select/rename your subfolders though, To be able to copy the subfolders too. BRU only copies what it renames.

I remember the new version 3 had problems here or a bug.
Emerkamp

Return to BRU Support