Read codec and write as file extension - recursive?

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Read codec and write as file extension - recursive?

Postby xBlizzDevious » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:31 am

I used some other software to re-organise a large number of media files. Unfortunately I omitted the file extension part in their renaming utility and so have a bunch of files with no file extension. Using VLC, I can see that the codec info is there so I need to read the file, take the codec info and then append .mp4, .avi or whatever it may be. Each video is stored in a separate folder but all within a parent folder so I need it to be recursive, too.

Unfortunately, I've never used this software and have no idea where to start. The help page looks detailed, but I don't know what I'm looking for.

Anybody able to explain where to start and/or how to do this? Assuming it is possible, of course.
xBlizzDevious

Re: Read codec and write as file extension - recursive?

Postby Admin » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:28 am

Hi, the current BRU version cannot rename files based on their content...
Admin
Site Admin

Postby xBlizzDevious » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:12 am

Admin wrote:Hi, the current BRU version cannot rename files based on their content...

I can understand that - but it's not the content, specifically. It's the codec it was encoded with - which I can only assume in in metadata somewhere?
xBlizzDevious

Postby therube » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:55 pm

Simply rename all the files to .mp4.
While it may not be "accurate", you would think all except for the most brain dead media players would be able to handle (a potentially incorrectly named) files.

---

I Imagine... ?

You could use MediaInfo (they also have a command-line version) to get the file-type (extension) for each file.
BRU has the 'Rename Pairs' feature.

Between the two, after figuring out the details to make it work, & with some finagling... you should be able to get it.
therube

Return to BRU Support