USB Memory Sticks not working

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

USB Memory Sticks not working

Postby GSHastings » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:27 pm

I have been using the utility, and it works Great!

But....I am totally unable to get it to work with USB Memory Sticks(thumb drives, and SD cards). The program functions normally, and acts like it is changing the file names as configured. BUT...the file names do not actually get changed.

I have tested the program on other internal hard drives, and it's all working perfectly. But NO USB drive that I have inserted into either USB2 or USB3 ports will work.

Well, let me correct that a little. My primary backup drive (4TB Seagate) is connected on a USB3 port. It works fine. It's only Thumbdrives and SD Cards that are not working.

No error messages are generated by the utility.

Anyone have any ideas of why this might be true? BTW none of the USB drives are write protected.

Thanks,
Greg
GSHastings

Re: USB Memory Sticks not working

Postby therube » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:43 pm

Is it particular rename actions that do no work, or all rename actions that do not work?

(Not that I'd think it should matter, but) are the drives formatted FAT32, NTFS, or exFAT or?

Cannot confirm on my end.
All my external connected HDDs have always worked.

Don't know that I've ever specifically tried to rename files on a "flash drive" before.
Picked a Win10 (cough, cough) bootable flash drive (NTFS [& UEFI/GPT capable]), picked a directory & changed all .DLL to .DLLX, then back again.
All changes reflected as expected on the flash drive.
therube

Return to BRU Support