removing duplicate periods in filename extensions

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

removing duplicate periods in filename extensions

Postby timberwolf1991 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:54 am

Hello,
So I just downloaded this program a bit ago and it looks super powerful, though I'm just not sure how to use it. It could be that it's late at night over here but maybe someone could help me.
I've got a variety of mp3 files with double periods proceeding the filename extension e.g. File1..mp3, file 2..mp3.

Making this more frustrating is in a few folders, but not all, I've also got the same files with single periods e.g. file 1.mp3, file 2.mp3, giving me duplicates.

How would I go about removing the filenames with double periods using this program?

For reference, I'm using the GUI. This is all very new to me and is a little over my head. I'd like to, if at all possible, search recursively through subdirectories so I'm not constantly having to perform the same command. e.g. if an mp3 file has double periods before the extension then just either delete it (if there is the same file with single periods) or rename it to have a single period.

I hope I'm making sense!

Alternatively, if using the command line utility would be easier with a batch file I'm also open to this.

Previously, I was using this simple command. this is failing now that I'm finding mp3's with single periods though and I'd like to just get this over and done with using bulk rename utility.

for /r "Y:\timber files" %i in (*..mp3) do ren "%i" "%~nimp3"
any help appreciated!
thanks
timberwolf1991

Re: removing duplicate periods in filename extensions

Postby Emerkamp » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:08 pm

Hi,
Options>> Ignore>> File extensions = Tick

Selections (12)
Tick = Files, Subfolders

Repl. (3)
Code: Select all
Replace
With

start in root folder>> select all>> Check that renames are ok>> press rename
Emerkamp

Postby therube » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:19 pm

What I would do...

Use Everything to find your files:

regex:.*\.\..mp3$

That would find files with (at least) two ..
So,
Visions Of Atlantis - 10 - Atlantis, Farewell....mp3
&
01 - Es Una Nube....mp3

Drag those files into BRU.
(It might take more then one attempt, clearing BRU's list in between.)

3:Replace
Replace:  ..
With:  <nul>

(BRU will automatically include the "dot" between the name & extension.)

---

That said, if you feel in fact that the files are exact duplicates, I would use a duplicate file finder to confirm that.
(My go to DFF are AllDup & Duplicate Cleaner [free version is fine if you don't need the additional features of Pro $$].)

---

Or you could use BRU to find your wanted files...

12:Folders
Mask:  *..mp3
Subfolders, checkmark
therube

Postby timberwolf1991 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:19 pm

Emerkamp wrote:Hi,
Options>> Ignore>> File extensions = Tick

Selections (12)
Tick = Files, Subfolders

Repl. (3)
Replace
With

start in root folder>> select all>> Check that renames are ok>> press rename

Hi,
Thank you so much for this.
This does appear to work, though I'm having to manually go through each specific folder and perform this.
Is there a way for BRU to simply look at all the files inside a directory (and their subdirectories) and rename the ones with double periods before the mp3 extension? I do have the overwrite existing files enabled, which means that the files simply rename to *.mp3 and remove the existing ones.

thanks!

Edit...

therube wrote:What I would do...
Or you could use BRU to find your wanted files...

12:Folders
Mask:  *..mp3
Subfolders, checkmark

This worked amazingly. I seriously cannot thank you both enough. I used this method and BRU is now counting up the files (this is going to be a gigantic list). Hopefully the renaming is successful - potentially hundreds of thousands of files.
timberwolf1991

Postby Emerkamp » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:46 am

Hi,
though I'm having to manually go through each specific folder and perform this.

The instructions in this part should of list only files in recursive mode. You need to start out by selecting the Root folder in the tree list. Then select all files inside the file list to rename. It will only rename the files that meet the condition. Match/ Replace
Selections (12)
Tick = Files, Subfolders

Using the Mask feature as noted above will also speed you up by only showing you .mp3 files.
Emerkamp

Return to BRU Support