Need quick help with batch-renaming files in Windows.

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Need quick help with batch-renaming files in Windows.

Postby Shaktiman » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:09 pm

Hello everyone,,
I re-named 278 images using F2 in Windows (a useful shortcut).

I used the F2 shortcut and used the name "viz" (because they are visualizations).

This means that the last image should be called "viz (278)."

However, the last file is called "viz (190)," which means that there are 88 duplicates.

I think that the duplicates have something to do with the different formats: if I look at all four different "viz (1)" files then I notice that they all have a different format.

How can I fix this problem?
Shaktiman

Re: Need quick help with batch-renaming files in Windows.

Postby therube » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:56 am

Note that if ordering matters, because of the files with the differing extensions, they may be (probably are) in a different order then what they otherwise would have been in.

-------

I re-named 278 images using F2 in Windows

It would seem to me that they should then be named; viz, viz (2), viz (3) ... viz (278).

However, the last file is called "viz (190),"

Is the comma actually there in the filename?

which means that there are 88 duplicates.

I don't understand that?

I think that the duplicates have something to do with the different formats: if I look at all four different "viz (1)" files then I notice that they all have a different format.

I'm not understanding that either? The "formats"? Formats of what?

Oh, so you mean that some of the files had different file extensions.
In which case, the renaming would be different; viz (1), viz (2), viz (3) ... viz (###), but then also viz (1).mp4, viz (2).mp4, viz (1).txt, viz (2).txt, viz (3).txt, viz (4).txt; viz (1).doc ...
In sum, you still have 278 files, but that 278 is made of (1)...(#), in sets of files, based on extension.

So... In BRU...

2:Name -> Remove

7:Add
Code: Select all
Prefix:  viz<sp>
Insert:  (
at pos.  5

10:Numbering
Mode:  Suffix

Rename.

Then...

Reset.

Then...

7:Add
Suffix:  )

-------

Note that if ordering matters, because of the files with the differing extensions, they may be (probably are) in a different order then what they otherwise would have been in.
therube

Re: Need quick help with batch-renaming files in Windows.

Postby Shaktiman » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:21 pm

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Thank you my issue has been solved,.....
Shaktiman

Return to BRU Support