Drag + drop files behavior no longer working?

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Drag + drop files behavior no longer working?

Postby bobosage » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:15 am

I was using the everything utility to search for multiple files on my PC. At first, I was able to drag + drop 50+ files into BRU and rename with no issue. Now, no matter what, I can't drop anything. Nothing happens. Have tried restarting BRU, everything and explorer.exe with no luck.
bobosage

Re: Drag + drop files behavior no longer working?

Postby therube » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:55 pm

You're dragging from Everything?

The particular files are actually accessible to you (sufficient permission & actually "online" [rather then on an "offline" disk])?
Can you open the files otherwise, outside of BRU?
Are the files "stored in the cloud"?
therube

Postby bobosage » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:06 pm

therube wrote:You're dragging from Everything?

The particular files are actually accessible to you (sufficient permission & actually "online" [rather then on an "offline" disk])?
Can you open the files otherwise, outside of BRU?
Are the files "stored in the cloud"?

Yes to the first two, and no to the last question. The weird thing is that the drag and drop behavior was working perfectly for the first couple renames. Then it suddenly stopped working.
bobosage

Postby therube » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:41 pm

Oh, if you're running under different privilege levels that will happen.

If you're running Everything "as Admistrator" & BRU as a "normal" user (or vice-versa) you won't be able to d&d.

Everything can run "as Administrator" - or use the Everything Service.
Everything Services allows Everything to do what it needs to do, while allowing the user to interact with the GUI as a "normal" user.

Check to see if you're using the Service, & if not, try that.
Everything | Tools | Options | General -> Everything Service (checkmark) ~> Apply
therube

Postby bobosage » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:58 pm

therube wrote:Oh, if you're running under different privilege levels that will happen.

If you're running Everything "as Admistrator" & BRU as a "normal" user (or vice-versa) you won't be able to d&d.

Everything can run "as Administrator" - or use the Everything Service.
Everything Services allows Everything to do what it needs to do, while allowing the user to interact with the GUI as a "normal" user.

Check to see if you're using the Service, & if not, try that.
Everything | Tools | Options | General -> Everything Service (checkmark) ~> Apply

Unfortunately did not work. Had both the service and administrator checked off in everything. Unchecked service and restarted it. Then closed BRU and right clicked and ran as admin. Same results. :(

Edit: Seems I can not drag from anywhere. Not even from a regular explorer window. So doesn't look like an everything-specific issue.
bobosage

Postby therube » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:22 pm

OS (& if 10, version)?

Check your BRU shortcut & make sure it is not set to 'run as Administrator'.
therube

Postby bobosage » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:02 pm

therube wrote:OS (& if 10, version)?

Check your BRU shortcut & make sure it is not set to 'run as Administrator'.

Windows 10 1809.

It wasn't set to run as administrator, but I just ran the BRU.exe direction from the install dir (not set to run as admin). Tried dragging some files from everything and it's only picking up some. (Maybe 3 out of the 20 im dragging).

I'm thinking this may just not be a fully complete\intentional feature at this point.
bobosage

Return to BRU Support