bulk rename to match whole case verbatim

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

bulk rename to match whole case verbatim

Postby linuxlad » Tue May 14, 2019 12:15 pm

Is it possible to rename files to match by case, for example i have 250 files of which 125 are url shortcuts and 125 are jpg and i want to rename all the jpg files to match the file names by case word for word as that of the 125 url shortcuts. At the moment every character in the entire name for all 125 files of the jpg files are upper case, now if all i had to do was just set a configuration to change the character for only the first character in each word than it would not be a problem, however, there are some words within the file name that are are partially upper and lower for example the word "BLURAY" from the jpg, as the preferred name to match the proper case of the url is "BluRay" and also trailing letters would also be a problem, for example "720P", as the preferred name to match the proper case of the url files is "720p".
Since there would be arbitration between a set of configuration rules for either/or instead of both, i was hoping for something more simple, basic, and a one-step solution where let's say i place the files in two separate folders one for the jpg and the other for the url, choose/select both sets and mass rename them to match each other or in this case for the jpg to match the url.
As is, I may have to do this in at least three steps for the jpg files, 1. change all jpg to lowercase everything, 2. change first letter to upper case for each word, 3. find and replace every non-matching word and replace them to match the exact case like the numbers with trailing letters, partial upper/lower words etc. BTW all words are separated by a period, no spaces and no other characters.
linuxlad

Re: bulk rename to match whole case verbatim

Postby Emerkamp » Tue May 14, 2019 8:49 pm

Section:

Repl. (3)

OR

Case (4)

OR

File>> Import-Rename Pairs

Make a 2 text files with your list of bad filenames, Repair 1 list inside a text editor, Combine the 2 list as OLDname|NewName. Then import/rename.
This ignores case when matching, but should replace with whatever you feed it. ( I Haven't tested this exact scenario ).
Emerkamp

Postby linuxlad » Wed May 15, 2019 12:39 pm

Thank you,

I didn't try 3 or file import, I decided to only try "Case(4)" which worked out perfectly due to the exceptions option.
I had to rename three separate sets for which I made documented notes with all the exceptions for future use.

Set 1: had 7 exceptions, Set 2: had 8 exceptions and set 3: had 4 exceptions.

I only came across one file name that had a three letter title that needed to be all caps.

I only renamed the jpg files, however, I also made notes that in the future it will be best to also rename the url-shortcuts together with the jpg files to match/include these prepositions (in:is:of:the:to:for) since they should not be added as exceptions because some title parts such as nouns and names especially at the beginning of the file name would be affected with an unwanted lower case and trying to pick and choose these individually is too time consuming and not worth it or necessary.
So by renaming both files types at the same time; they will match each other identically.

In the future if/when I need to rename these three sets, it will be a breeze. Thanks again.
linuxlad

Postby dude » Sat May 18, 2019 1:57 am

Without using Bulk Rename Utility:
(assuming your URL files have extension .URL)

- In Explorer, browse to the folder where your .URL/.JPG files are
- In the address bar type cmd.exe (+ENTER)
- Enter this command in CMD:
Code: Select all
for %x in (*.url) DO rename "%~nx.jpg" "%~nx.jpg"

(+ENTER)
- Done.
dude

Return to BRU Support