Original File Name Order Question

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Original File Name Order Question

Postby Cfrock » Tue May 21, 2019 9:34 pm

Hi all,

This is probably a very simple problem but I'm truly not very good with sotware. I use BRU to number image files in sequential order, and it's been a big help with the 'spring clean' I've been doing this week, but I noticed that some image files were being moved around within the folder after using it. For example, if I have three images that form a sequence, I want them arranged one after the other in the folder, but BRU will often move one of them to a different part of the folder and break that sequence when renumbering them.

I realised today that the reason for this is the original file names weren't in sequential order within BRU. I like to number all of my images starting at 01, 02, 03 ... 09, 10, 11 and so on. However, when the images are listed in BRU, it arranges them as 08, 09, 10, 100, 101, 102 and so on. This moves everything around, as what should be the hundredth image becomes the eleventh, and so on, throwing everything out of whack.

Here's a screenshot of BRU to show what I mean:https://imgur.com/a/X3ti1Sp

The numbering goes from 129 to 13 to 130, so if I were to select the files to rename them to just the numbers then these images would all be labelled in the 40s instead of where I actually want them in sequence, as in this screenshot:https://imgur.com/a/p8fcHYd

Thankfully, BRU makes it easy to remove everything except the numbers, so for this particular folder retaining the sequence is easy enough. However, I'd like to know if there's a way to arrange my files strictly according to the existing sequence as it appears within File Explorer, so that when I rename images in future to simple numbers they retain that original sequence?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cfrock

Re: Original File Name Order Question

Postby therube » Wed May 22, 2019 12:33 am

You're probably needing; Display Options -> Sorting --> Logical Sorting

Default would be an ASCII sort.
With that "01" < "02" < "03" < "1" < "11" < "2" < "22" < "3" ...

After setting that option, you may to do something to affect a change, like toggling 10:Number to "off", then back "on".

Depending on your source names, there may even be times when you may have to do the renaming in groups.
therube

Return to BRU Support