License Banner

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

License Banner

Postby Joleun » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:07 pm

I was experiencing some odd behaviour with the version of Bulk Rename Utility I had installed; a folders's contents are listed in alphabetical order, but the navigation tree has some of the folders appearing out of order at the end. I can't find any reason for that, but I decided to check if there was an update available, and now haver version 3.1.0.0 installed.

Unfortunately, there's now a banner at the bottom regarding the software being for personal use etc. That in itself wouldn't be a problem, but I can find now way to close it and it's obscuring part of the interface. Any help on removing it would be appreciated.
Joleun

Re: License Banner

Postby therube » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:10 pm

What OS?
What is your screen resolution?

Does hitting F9 make a difference?
(It's a toggle.)

And a screenshot would probably help too.

(I'm not aware that that message can be dismissed.)
therube

Postby Joleun » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:21 pm

Thanks for the reply.

It's Windows 10 64 bit, and a resolution of 1366x768.

Doing that makes no difference to it unfortunately.

I did take a screenshot, but rather than finding somewhere to host it, it's probably easier to say that it runs almost directly over the notification area at the bottom that states the number of objects and how many selected. That's something I always used to check so it's a bit frustrating that it's now hidden.

There's another element of the interface that's moved as well; the 'rename' button, and I presume the elements near it are now slightly to the left of where they were located. The right hand edge of the 'rename' button and box 13 are aligned, but they're not aligned with everything above which is aligned with the window edge.

As I didn't have this problem with the version I was running up until I updated yesterday, is it possible to download older versions from somewhere?
Joleun

Postby Joleun » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:35 pm

Seems it may be a result of the ability to change font size that was added. Increasing the font was no good, but decreasing it has at least brought everything back into view.
Joleun

Postby therube » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:24 pm

Confirmed.
I'm at 1280x768 [monitor resolution] (& actually less then that display area - because I a have 3-row taskbar).

1.Default, 2.Larger.Font, 3.2xLarger.Font (all horizontally)

https://i.postimg.cc/JrZBGwtN/BRU-Font-Size-default-1x-2x.png

I suspect the status bar is there (in the 3rd shot), just not in a visible location?
In any case, it's effectively gone.
therube

Postby Admin » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:57 am

Thanks, I think the issue might be that with larger font the controls do not fit on the screen if the screen resolution is low...
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Joleun » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:11 pm

Here's what I get at three font sizes.

Standard Font:

Larger Font:

Smaller Font:

The staus bar is there at the standard setting, but can't be read with the placement of the banner. Note that with the larger font that is the complete window; there's no scrolling so the very bottom of the interface isn't present at all.

My other laptop has a higher resolution so it would likely look different on there, but at present that still has the previous version installed.
Joleun

Postby Joleun » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:49 pm

Oh, and I'm aware that it's off-topic to the subject, but the behaviour with the tree is the reason that I first checked for an update. Apologies for editing the screenshot so much, but I hope it gives an indication of what is happening:

That is the navigation tree, and the folders are not being sorted alphabetically. I cannot work out on what basis they are being sorted; it isn't by date created, modified, or accessed. Although the folders at the top are showing as expanable they do not in fact contain any sub-folders. I've tried refreshing the tree, and applying different sorting options although I'm unsure what they do.

In contrast the folders are displayed in the file list in the correct order when they're listed by name.
Joleun

Postby Panchdara » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:27 pm

For such a great utility - in fact one of he very best - what a bad interface. The complaints have been centered around the file listings being so limited in visibility and yet, here, in 3.1.0.0 that visibility seems even worse. F9 is a kludge. Space is wasted on emptiness and unnecessary drivel (easily accomplished in the Help/About). The utility is awesome - the interface is poor.
Panchdara

Postby therube » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:29 pm

@Joleun, that's odd (your banner issue).
Other then your screen resolution, have you also increased your Font (text) sizing (dpi)?
(Actually, if you look at the shots here, viewtopic.php?p=11682#p11682, they're off too [& he's at 3200x1800]. So maybe there is a general Win10 issue here? [I don't have 10.])

With the folders, are there any hidden subdirectories in the particular folders?
If so, the tree will show + even though you will not see the actual directories.

@Panchdara, a bit more constructive, viewtopic.php?p=11682#p11682.
(Hmm... But then I can be rather harsh on Mozilla, these days.)
therube

Postby Joleun » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:15 pm

If you mean the font size within Windows then no it's at 100%; I just checked to be absolutely sure. The font size in BRU I have changed, and the results of which were in the previous screenshots. If I update it on my other laptop, I can see what it's like on there later; that uses a completely different resolution, and it's Windows 10 again.

No, there are no hidden folders. I've looked at all the options I could think of Windows Explorer in case there was something there, but couldn't find anything. Right now in Windows Explorer the folder contents shows as starting with folder 1 and then running A to Z, and it's the same in the navigation tree as well. in BRU the navigation tree goes A-L, folder 1, and then A-Z. The file list gives the contents in correct order, however. It's very confusing. The only difference between the folders is that folder 1 is the only one that contains sub-folders.
Joleun

Postby Admin » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:15 am

Can you try to uninstall and re-install? At the standard font size (select display options -> font -> reset to reset the font size), everything should show properly. Only at bigger fonts, you can get controls that are clipped if they do not fit, thanks
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:48 pm

One more thing please... can you try maximizing the window, does the bottom bar show then?
We have reproduced this issue on a Win 10 PC with Resolution 1920x1080 and Scale DPI 125%. With BRU standard font the bottom bar only shows if the window is maximized.
thanks
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Joleun » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:21 pm

Firstly, I checked on my other laptop, and found that I didn't in fact have BRU installed. Having installed the latest version, I ran BRU at the standard font size, larger, and smaller. In all cases there were no issues at all with viewing the entire interface. Although I'm not on it currently, I believe the resolution is the same as you mentioned 1920x1080.

That in fact made me think myself of uninstalling, and re-installing on this laptop. However, it was still the same following that.

I've also just tried again resetting the font, and with the window maximized the bottom bar remains hidden behind the banner. It's only if I reduce the font that it becomes visible.

One other thing that I noted between running it on the two laptops is that on my other one there was a logo/image to the right of the rename button. Running it on here, that is empty space as seen in the screenshots, but it does kind of explain the apparently odd placement of the button.
Joleun

Postby therube » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:02 pm

logo/image to the right of the rename button

I get the logo/image on Win7 (1920x1080), but not on XP (1280x768).
(I have always assumed it was just due to the OS?)
therube

Next

Return to BRU Support